Crusader

Ask Geoff ( Memorial Thread )

I realize it's going back quite a ways, but do you remember any particularly wicked gigs with MGB? *coughpleasesayEdgefest98Vancouvercough*

Strange fan encounters?

In case there's complete memory loss of that time in your life, any wicked road/gig story will do. Rock stories rule.

Uhhh I remember breakin' up with my stripper girl friend at that show...throwing my bass around my head and the strap broke sendin' my beloved halfway across the stage...

Uhhh I remember breakin' up with my stripper girl friend at that show...throwing my bass around my head and the strap broke sendin' my beloved halfway across the stage... :angry:

That sucks, but ya' have to admit, that's kinda rawk. You didn't seem upset during the show (that I recall). I specified that show only because it was my first MGB show & the only time I got to see you with the band. I flashed you some devil-rawk horns, and since your hands were busy, you gave me a devil-rawk face back. Then I met you at the fan tent afterward, but I was a bit (read: extremely) hyperactive and went through the line twice, and that's all we need to remember about that. :angry: I still have the white shirt with the Underdogs back cover on it ... don't wear it now 'cause the image started to get all cracky-like but it's neat to have something from back then.

P.S. I listened to The Slickjack's stuff, very cool. I like the rawkabilly.

*It's pretty rare that I'll write 'rock' like 'rawk', but it seems appropos at the moment.

That was the last show I did with Matt...wow. That WAS a long time ago!!!

And why should I seem upset? When you unload shitty baggage like her all you wanna do is ROCK!!!!! ;)

Yeah, I'm 2 months late. (Internet pregnant?!)

The type "smiley" used made me think that I'd accidentally drudged up some bad memories, that's why I thought it was a negative thing.

Uhhh ... you like hockey? Still BMX'ing at all?

Regarding the Underdogs release, I think one of the gigs was at Abbotsford's A&B Sound, but I wasn't allowed/able to go. (On a useless note, Abby's A&B Sound is the first, and last, place I saw Nickelback play, back when "Fly" was all the rage.)

Does my life revolve around music - not as much as it used to, I'm afraid. I grew up with it, so it's uncomfortable to not have it around me, though. My Stepdad is a multi-instrumentalist - played bass in a band that opened for Heart once, just before they got big - and my Mom sings (they're a duo who play Royal Canadian Legion-type venues and they also have a kid's show.) I do have a trumpet that I hope to spend some quality time with in the near future. I played for 3 months in junior high, switched to slacking off (percussion) for the rest of high school but never really excelled at it. I should have stayed with trumpet throughout my teens, I'd be so kick-ass by now. Oh, well.

The nu-metal thing turned me off radio. One of my least favourite concert moments was in The Vogue prior to an MGB show and they played Limp Bizkit ... and my friend and I were aghast at all of our peers, earnestly singing along to that shit. Never got over it. I'm a child of angsty grunge, damn it! Give me "Them Bones" over that crap!

I am generally begrudged to admit I like Hanson's "This Time Around". I think it's a well-crafted pop-rock song. I also like Pet Shop Boys' "West End Girls," Duran Duran's "Ordinary World" and "Come Undone," "Roam," by the B-52's, "The Picard Song," by Dark Materia, "Free Your Mind," by En Vogue, "This Used to be My Playground," by Madonna, & "You Can Call Me Al," by Paul Simon.

Aaaaand I've proceeded to write about myself far too much. Hwyl am rwan!*

(*Cymraeg. Spiffy/crazy language.)

Oh, and I hope your brain is all better. :angry:

Edited by nerd glasses

I've got some German in me (and no, I don't want more!)

Oh yes you do...come, we must find a Hun to fill Tim with his Teutonic Manliness!!!

Geoff, is there anything you would change about you time in MGB?

Also how is your health these days?

MGB was just fine the way it was. Everything happened on cue and I wouldn't change a thing.

My health [thanks fer your concern] is fine. As a matter of fact if anyone wants to brave goin' to the Cobalt t'night to see some psychobilly and splatter gore burlesque...c'mon down.

....and buy me a drink. ;)

What specific advice would you give aspiring bassists, in terms of tone and technique, aside from the usual "Follow your dreams!" type stuff?

Which makes or made you more nervous, working in the studio or performing live?

Edited by NotFromOklahoma

Perfect "technique" ruined my rock playing. I hate to admit it but I took Billy Sheehans advice....if you like yer strap long practice standing up.Your wrists get used to the angle and you won't have any surprises on gig day.Otherwise adjust your strap to your sitting position.

Learn Jaco's major scale position and figure everything else out from there.[modes, natural minor ect.]

Oh, and don't let anyone tell you "That's not what a bass does!!!"...it's all about what You can do with a bass.

Rehearse drunk.If you can pull it off then the gig is gonna be a breeze.

The guy twiddleing the knobs is always right.

Listen to him....unless he's a knob himself!!! ;)

We were fortunate enough to have Warne along fer the ride and I respect him, so...

Other than that just know the songs and the magic usually happens in the first 2-3 takes. After that it sounds too forced. Punch in what you have to but try and keep the "soul".