Crusader

Matthew Good 2011 Tour Dates!

when we stop paying those prices, maybe they'll drop. i used to think $70 was the most i'd pay for a ticket, now it seems like a deal. doesn't help that the service charges keep going up. i think they're around $15 now. it used to be $7.50.

no argument from me, the service charges are nuts, they are like 30-40% of the ticket price most times.

I don't think i'd pay that much even for MG... i'm pretty surprised that he's able to draw well enough to charge that these days. Hello time bomb was a long time ago.

when we stop paying those prices, maybe they'll drop. i used to think $70 was the most i'd pay for a ticket, now it seems like a deal. doesn't help that the service charges keep going up. i think they're around $15 now. it used to be $7.50.

Well, this was one of the reasons I picked a slightly smaller out of town venue versus the Toronto dates. I'm not paying $70 for Matt Good or pretty much anybody unless it's a special show. I made an exception for another artist, who's coming in from the UK, and doing his first two albums. That's in Oakville the night after Mississauga and at $74 I had to think three or four times (I have a sixth row, dead centre seat for that so that also helps).

Yeah this is the most I have ever paid to see MG...here in Vic it was a total of 69.50 - and yeah I will gladly pay it but not for too many artists anymore. Oddly the s/c was a mere 3.00 but it was not through ticketmaster (thank gawd) or they would have been more I am sure.

Again, the reason I went with the Mississauga date -- lower ticket price and lower s/c.

I got similar, 11th row dead centre ;) I am going to the QE Theatre show also, because it's just a such a great venue. Also considering the Kitchener show...

Hmm... PM me if you want because i'm in row F for the show (10th row, pretty much dead centre). I'd like to go to the QE shows but as I'm buying tickets for two, it adds up fast. That, and the extra $15-20 per ticket nevermind parking put me off the Toronto dates.

If you're able to buy tickets for a show directly from the venue (like the Vogue Theater in Vancouver) as opposed to through a third party like ticketmaster(of raping your credit card), that helps to save a bit of money on service charges.

Indeed. I always try to do that where I can. Massey Hall shows in Toronto are usually cheaper through their website over going to TicketRapist. Often I find better seats show up there as well.

no argument from me, the service charges are nuts, they are like 30-40% of the ticket price most times.

I don't think i'd pay that much even for MG... i'm pretty surprised that he's able to draw well enough to charge that these days. Hello time bomb was a long time ago.

I agree with this as well. The sad reality is that costs of touring have gone up (look at gas prices as well as the cut that promoters and venues want).

For about 90% of the larger shows I go to, I wait for the day of (or a day or two before), and try to scalp scalpers on CL, KJ or fleaBay. I've done quite well in the past -- the last time MG played Toronto (Massey Hall, December '09), I managed to pick up a 5th row seat for about $30-35 (vs. the $50-$60 ticket price). For some other higher profile shows, I've usually managed to pay around 40-45% of the list price hours before the show began and ended up with tickets in the first 10 or so rows. I take a huge risk on not going but if I'm not willing to pay a certain price, I just don't go or I roll the dice.

As far as the $40 GA tickets.... well, I remember seeing him on the Vancouver tour when he hit Oshawa back in '08 and those were $27.50 + $2 s/c via TicketBreak. By comparison, Massey Hall (after service charges) was around $50. GA at $50 or greater is just disgusting.

Edited by adrianf74

I had a conversation with MG once (recently) and he made it pretty clear his bread and butter comes from touring, royalties alone he makes what I do in a year and I can assure you I am not sitting high on the hog...record sales are shit now b/c everyone DLs so really the only way he gets ahead is touring and merch so I can understand why the prices will just continue to rise in most cases.

I was not in love with last tours show so I really wanna get my ass kicked this year. ;)

wow what happened to the days of $25-30 GA tickets ?

$70 for presale? and 120 for vip ? yikes!

Yeah, I hear ya. This is the most I've ever paid for a Matthew Good concert:

VIP: EPCOR CENTRE for the Performing Arts

Subtotal: $119.00

Shipping: $9.52

Taxes: $6.43

================================

Total: $134.95

Presale: EPCOR CENTRE for the Performing Arts

Subtotal: $42.13

Fees: $24.00

Total: $66.13

$24.00 for fees?? Yikes!! Going to concerts these days is really starting to break the bank.

It will be worth it though. It is for Matthew Good after all.

Presale: EPCOR CENTRE for the Performing Arts

Subtotal: $42.13

Fees: $24.00

Total: $66.13

$24.00 for fees?? Yikes!! Going to concerts these days is really starting to break the bank.

It will be worth it though. It is for Matthew Good after all.

$24??? That's criminal, i've never seen such a thing. Usually for me fees are maybe $10. I can't believe more than fees for you are more than 50% the price of the ticket!

Guest jjazz

One thing I like about Ticketmaster now is that it lists the service fee included in the ticket price. I can't remember how many times I'd buy tickets for something and then look at the bill and realize how bad I just got raped.

Now it's not as surprising. You see the rape coming, and you get to prepare for it.

whoa, he is playing in some obscure little towns.

regarding the business: the promoters pay him to play the show. matthew will make the same amount of money whether the promoter sells 30 tickets or 3000. from that money, matt has to pay his band and his crew. from what i understand, he owns all of his own equipment. aside from that, the venue makes money by booking the site and selling booze... the promoter makes money by selling the tickets, the ticket issuer makes money through the service charges and the act makes extra money by selling merchandise. true that physical album sales are down due to digital download, but in comparison, the artist earns more money in residual/royalty income by way of digital media than they do/did selling physical media. every label is different, depending on the type of agreement they have with the retailer, and likewise with the talent, but i think the income per download is something like 70%

during the avalanche tour, i know what he was bringing per date and what his band was earning, and judging from the locales on this tour, i'd say now he's nowhere near that. like less than half.

touring is and always will be the main source of income for any performer.

Edited by RicardoObviouso

Thanks for the info ricado.

I'm inclined to agree MG isn't making all the increase that we as fans are seeing, via increased fees and ticket price increases.

The last time I saw MG IN canada it was $30? or 35? and that was when the Dollar was higher, so it was more like 25 for me. I don't know if 6 years later doubled in price sounds like anything but promoters and venues jamming into your pocketbooks. If "we" stop paying it the prices will tail off.

Also VERY much agree for those of you in big cities, that can live with the stress of not having tickets til the last might. Craigslist is your friend. Always find sold out shows on there at face or below.

$24??? That's criminal, i've never seen such a thing. Usually for me fees are maybe $10. I can't believe more than fees for you are more than 50% the price of the ticket!

You're right. I paid for 2 tickets, so it's probably a $12 fee.

So i was waiting for like 2 weeks for MG's site or the venue website to post ticket sale info for the Pembroke, ON show. It still says TBA on MG's site and nothing about the concert on te venue site. so i frigging called the venue today to see if they knew when tickets would on sale and they said they've been on sale for 2 weeks! Luckily i still got really good seats, 3rd row.

Also VERY much agree for those of you in big cities, that can live with the stress of not having tickets til the last might. Craigslist is your friend. Always find sold out shows on there at face or below.

yes sir. i paid $80 for a pair of hip tickets last night, and hour and half before the show. they were selling for $80 each at the door.

If anyone's interested, I have two extra tickets to the December 3rd Vancouver show at the Vogue. They're Row 2 in the Left Dress Circle. They're aisle seats on the furthest right hand side of the section.

I'm wiling to sell them minus the fees...so $80 flat for the two tickets.

Guest jjazz

If you guys live in Toronto and win, I doubt you have 20 friends who want to see Matt Good at a private concert as much as me. Let's put our names in the hat so we have a chance of getting picked if someone from the forum wins.

"Winner may claim his/her Prize in each of Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, and Vancouver."

Toronto is not included but I hope I'm misinterpreting it.

Edited by Zoon

Another MG tour without a Regina show! Boo-urns!

Another drive to Saskatoon, I guess!

I used to be able to get people to go to shows with me on road trips, but looks like I'll have to go alone this time. I'll probably get the VIP package, I'd like to meet Matt in person, shake his hand, and thank him for the art he's put out over his career.

If i win i'll very likely invite a bunch of peeps from The Bored, I don't have 20 friends who are Good fans that's for sure. Might as well invite ppl who would appreciate such an experience.

What would be badass is if he did the show solo acoustic and took requests from the winner.