mrjason

Looks Like Vinyl Releases Of Back Catalog Are Coming

I currently have most of my mg stuff in one cube but when the new records arrive I have to start a second.

Here is a photo of the whole shelf and one of the mg cube.

Hopefully they've attached ok,my home PC is not the greatest.

Thanks! I like what you did with your Matthew Good collection. It looks very nice, keeping it all in one cube. Impressive. What's that 'nothing' item? Did you win one of Matt's artwork that he created during Hospital Music? I think he auctioned them off for charity?

They also sell frames for records. I think Urban Outfitters has them for 10$. Then you can mount them on the wall.

Cool. That's another great idea. Next time I pass Urban Outfitters, I will keep an eye out for them and see what they look like.

I think the Nothing item is one of the postcards that came with an album or some other order from Maple Music. I have 3 different 4x6 postcards that came with one of my orders at least 5 or 6 years ago. Don't remember which order.

I think the Nothing item is one of the postcards that came with an album or some other order from Maple Music. I have 3 different 4x6 postcards that came with one of my orders at least 5 or 6 years ago. Don't remember which order.

There was a postcard set that came out after Hospital Music - that's some of the artwork that MG drew while he was in the hospital and posted on his blog.

Just now realizing:

A) I love that artwork.

B) I bought that postcard set on that tour.

C) I have no idea what I did with it.

Edited by uglyredhonda

Oh, I didn't know that. That's a nice bonus.

You are not correct about this. CD's are generally compressed where as a well pressed and mastered vinyl is not.

CD's aren't compressed at all. They're a lossless format.  The only compression in CD's is the compression that modern engineers add at the mastering stage in the "loudness wars", but that has nothing to do with the format itself, only the mastering of the source used to put on the CD or MP3 and even vinyl.

CD, MP3, and vinyl each have their pros and cons.  Vinyl can have problems reproducing deep bass, especially big drops in bass, and can lose high end at especially at the end of the record when the grooves get smaller.  "Analog" doesn't always mean "better".  VHS and cassette tapes were analog too:

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Myths_%28Vinyl%29#Myth:_Vinyl_has_greater_resolution_than_CD_because_its_dynamic_range_is_higher_than_for_CD_at_the_most_audible_frequencies

http://www.laweekly.com/music/why-cds-may-actually-sound-better-than-vinyl-5352162

Must have been a "we're sorry" gift for the vinyl being so late.

Received my 3 re-issues today. Still waiting on Chaotic Neutral but that's OK. I'm pretty disappointed that Omissions of the Omen was left off LOTGA though, particularly since the entire back of the second disc is just blank. I suppose they couldn't fit it on the front and then some kind of money-saving issue came into play where they said "well if we put the one song on the back of this disc it'll cost X whereas if we leave it off you save X." And they probably decided to leave it off. That's just my guess though.

That's fucking bullshit.  $40 for the LP and you don't get the whole damn album even when it has room to spare?  If they cut it for length reasons I could understand, but like WTF.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That's fucking bullshit.  $40 for the LP and you don't get the whole damn album even when it has room to spare?  If they cut it for length reasons I could understand, but like WTF.

Yeah...I have to agree. It's a major bummer...especially since it's one of the best MG songs ever.

Another oddity is that the Hospital Music vinyl kinda chops up the Firebird/Safer Than A Bank/I'm A Window trio so they don't run together as they were originally intended. I think Firebird is the last song on one side and then you flip over for the remainder of the album. Just an observation.

Edited by Gomo

Really enjoyed the records...to me the sound on Hospital Music didn't seem as dynamic as I had hoped, but really enjoyed the other albums.  Thought Ghetto and Beautiful sounded the best.  Sat here for a few days just looking at them, still unable to fully accept that a long held dream of mine to have those albums had come true.  

As for Ghetto not having Omens, yeah it does disappoint.  I mean many of the songs on Ghetto are short and could easily have been bumped up to other sides, leaving plenty of room for Omissions, Omissions is just 3:30....if "Haven't Slept in Years was added to record 1 side 2, the runtime of that would be roughly 17 minutes, well within range for a side of vinyl and also well within range for the length of sides on these releases.  Omen could then have been added following War is Over and that side would only run 7 seconds longer than it had with Haven't Slept in Years" on there.  Too bad! 

Anyways all things said I am stoaked for these and am excited about what might be involved in the vinyl releases later in the year.  Raygun gives me hope for Lo-Fi and Loser Anthems, and I'm assuming Audio, Avalanche and WLRRR would make it.  Does anyone think he will rerelease Vancouver-Arrows? 

I like the idea of In A Coma too, although if its just the greatest hits I'd probably pass.  I'd love to get like Rooms with a second album filled with rarities...All Together is a personal favourite, but like Tony said Omissions and other songs like Pony Boy could be added along with things like say Can't Get Shot in the Back...maybe I'm getting carried away with that wishlist.

Anyways thanks to Matt for pushing to get these out on Vinyl, its been one of those wishlist things I never thought I'd see, but I'm learning as a Matt Good fan, all good things come to those who are patient.  Now about those Beautiful Midnight shows?

• Upvote 1

Guest Idioteque

I really hope Matt does a 2 nights per city tour where the first night is Underdogs & the second night is Beautiful Midnight. Hitting all the major cities & charging $100-$200 a ticket wouldn't be that hard to sell.

He has tons of albums he can play in its entirety & get a full house, I'd imagine. Avalanche, Vancouver etc.

I really hope Matt does a 2 nights per city tour where the first night is Underdogs & the second night is Beautiful Midnight. Hitting all the major cities & charging $100-$200 a ticket wouldn't be that hard to sell.

He has tons of albums he can play in its entirety & get a full house, I'd imagine. Avalanche, Vancouver etc.

Oh man. I'd be so down for a full play through of Avalanche. And Beautiful Midnight. And also Vancouver. 

I'd go for Underdogs but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Bit the bullet. Picked up HM and BM at HMV today. They're ordering me CN and get this, apparently they still have a couple copies of Arrows in the warehouse!

Now I just have to convince someone to buy the other records for me for my birthday...which is in May lol

Are all of them white? I own it and I don't think I remember it being white. Shall check when I return home.

Arrows is on milky white vinyl too.

So perdy.

I think that the white vinyl was for the VIP packages on the Arrows tour? like special edition?

I should have bought the Arrows vinyl. Maybe I'll check ebay at some point.

I was going to bid on the one someone from the Bored was selling, but I think it ended up going for like 102$. Wild.

Edited by emmit643

Guest Idioteque

Oh it may have just been for the VIP, that's where I got it. My friend and I joked that it was the only thing "Frostbyte" got right while representing Matt, but then it wasn't a gatefold LP so they lost points. 

MatthewGood_ArrowsOfDesire_3.jpg

I actually like quite a few bands off that label & they always do cool vinyl designs. I just don't think they were prepared to handle a big name like Matthew Good. With the U.S tour fallout & not as much press/hype as the album should have gotten compared to being backed by a giant like Universal or Warner. 

I also may have an extra White Arrows of Desire, signed & sealed for grabs in a few weeks, I will have to search for it. But if it's getting reissued again I'd suggest waiting for that one since it will be a gatefold & "remastered". 

CD's aren't compressed at all. 

Compressed is not really the correct word I guess.  More like down sampled.

Properly pressed and mastered vinyl will always sound better, and have a higher dynamic range than it's cd counterpart if they are coming from the same source.

For example, Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Psychadelic Pill

CD - http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/28774

Vinyl - http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/38966

Daft Punk - Random Access Memory

CD - http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/88615

Vinyl - http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/88615

David Bowie - The Next Day

CD - http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/59832

Vinyl - http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/65047

Radiohead - In Rainbows

CD - http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/140

Vinyl - http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/56942

Oh it may have just been for the VIP, that's where I got it. My friend and I joked that it was the only thing "Frostbyte" got right while representing Matt, but then it wasn't a gatefold LP so they lost points. 

MatthewGood_ArrowsOfDesire_3.jpg

I actually like quite a few bands off that label & they always do cool vinyl designs. I just don't think they were prepared to handle a big name like Matthew Good. With the U.S tour fallout & not as much press/hype as the album should have gotten compared to being backed by a giant like Universal or Warner. 

I also may have an extra White Arrows of Desire, signed & sealed for grabs in a few weeks, I will have to search for it. But if it's getting reissued again I'd suggest waiting for that one since it will be a gatefold & "remastered". 

Yeeeeaaah damn that white vinyl does look fine

I had no clue Omissions was not on there. Now I'm pissed.

Re vinyl: digital will never, and can never, capture the space of tape. When that space is compressed in analog it does something that makes everything captured 1 million times better. The introduction of the CD was a marketing ploy that everyone fell for. And where are they now? In the binary world it was always just a matter of time until the scope of how digital music is distributed changed.

Nothing will ever sound like vinyl. Recording music onto tape will always sound better than onto a computer. Real instruments will always sound better than fake ones - unless you're dealing in a genre in which they're not used. There's a reason why people point at technology and say "well it's easy to record" when the reality is they never got the chance to actually do it for real. And even then, that's still nothing compared to those that scored and recorded in single takes - which if we're honest would put 70% of artists out of work if it had to be done like that.

Thanks for the reply Matt. Interesting comments on vinyls in general. Just spun Beautiful Midnight for the first time tonight. Sounds great!

Could you speculate at all as to why Omissions was left off of LOTGA? I hope they didn't just like....not realize it was on there to begin with   :whistle:

I think someone mentioned that they'd think twice about buying White Light if Hopeless was left off. Might be worth bringing that up to the powers that be if that album makes the cut for the next round of releases.

Edited by Gomo