Crusader

New Demos Going Up (Chaotic Neutral)

I hope it is signed by Matt. That will be the only incentive for me to pre-order on August 14th.

Edited by girl

I've been listening to the demos (and a few old demos/tracks) in constant rotation the last few days and I wanted to kind of share my thoughts. Here's my playlist. Most are from the current recording period, but a few are older:

Moment - I like it, though it sounds pretty "even," in that there isn't a lot of sonic variety in the song. I imagine that will be fixed on the actual album. A good song though.

Los Alamos - One of my favourites. Really reminds me of Flight Recorder of Viking 7 in its atmosphere.

Cold Water - Probably the best demo. Just a really, really great song. I don't mind the "slurred" style singing as I first did when he released it, though I hope it's cleaned up a bit (in terms of clarity) for the full release.

Tiger by the Tail - Okay. Not a stand out. Similar in style (in my mind) to Cold Water, but doesn't have the some flow or concise feeling, almost as though it drags a bit.

Something Like a Storm - Not making the album, but one of my favourite songs he's ever recorded. If I know I'm going to be driving for 15 minutes then I put this on.

Refusing To Leave Space Camp - Also great, too bad it's not making the album (as far as I know).

Girls in Black - Great verses, middling chorus, and fantastic bridge. Seriously, this bridge (I remember the time, I remember the time...) is one of the best things he has done in years.

No Liars - Great hook, good versus, mediocre chorus. I am not a fan of choruses that just repeat a line a few times (So Close comes to mind, from Arrows of Desire).

All You Sons and Daughters - Good song, though I preferred the original demo from a while back. I also miss the outro. But a good song.

Harridan - Good song. The mixing on this one seems to maybe make his voice seem grating, I hope that doesn't come through on the final recording. I like the overall feel of it, especially the non-singing parts.

All Together - Not a demo since it was released, but still not an album song. One of the best he's ever done. Great build and payoff, which I love in a song.

For and Against - I'll never understand why this song wasn't released on an album. Also one of the best choruses he's ever done, it has a great deal of feeling in it.

Cloudbusting - Really nice song, a good cover choice.

Edited by RileyLewis

Guest Idioteque

I'm hoping there's a few more songs added to the album that we haven't heard from the demos, tracklist seems thin. "Something Like a Storm" & "Refusing To Leave Space Camp" would have made the album peeeeeeerfect.

Regardless, like what Anton said the finished product will be interesting to hear.

Pre-order is live on iTunes (Canada).

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/chaotic-neutral/id1023974894

And Amazon.ca.

http://amzn.to/1yDKXiD

1) All You Sons and Daughters

2) Moment

3) Kid Down the Well

4) No Liars

5) Harridan

6) Tiger by the Tail

7) Girls in Black

8) Cloudbusting (feat. Holly McNarland)

9) Cold Water

10) Army of Lions

11) Los Alamos

Edited by Crusader
shortened + tagged link
  • Upvote 1

Guest Idioteque

Cloudbusting (feat. Holly McNarland) makes me more excited about the cover than before.

I'm guessing he's not doing the signed copies for preorder, might wait until I see him in concert to pick this puppy up.

Guest Idioteque

Nothing showing on iTunes or Amazon for us fans down south. I hope it will be available on the website? And no vinyl?

Only CD showing up on Amazon. No viiiiinyl. :(

Guest Idioteque

Update: Just bought a CD & Vinyl, I'm pretty sure I'm in the 200 club.
Fingers crossed. 

Never felt so good to max out a credit card.  :devil:

Just to clarify, if you buy the vinyl, the "digital download card" will get you access to the entire album in mp3 right when it's released? It's not just for the single?

I'm looking at my files and my guess it's just the single (Which is all it gave me) until the album is released then you get the full album. 

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

I'm just kind of torn because I would like the signed CD, but I don't even actually play CD's anymore. I also don't have a vinyl player but I plan to get one and I feel like I'd at least be more likely to use the vinyl in the future

-_-

Guest Idioteque

Cds, meh. I feel you, but chances are if you get one now it will be signed.

(Which is why I picked up 1)

Vinyl, is a must. It's a good piece to any collection not to mention how much they end up going for on ebay after they're sold out, so getting it now for $24 (which is extremely cheap for vinyl today) beats paying up to $100-$200 a year from now.

ALSO Matt has been working on pressing his entire catalog on vinyl, so what better time to start collecting? :)

I'm assuming it will be on Spotify on release day too, so I don't mind waiting a bit for the CD to come in the mail.

I think the only song I haven't heard is Kid Down the Well. Should be a great album, I'm interested to hear how some of the songs turned out in the studio.

Guest Idioteque

I thought the video would be released today but I guess not. I wonder when it'll be released.

Me too. Lol I'm kind of getting sick of "All You Sons & Daughters" because it's everywhere, Im hoping he releases some more tracks soon + the music video.

I got both to avoid paying high shipping twice. Curious, the order says that preordered items begin shipping October 25. I hope I don't get burned like last time with Arrows.

What happened with Arrows? I'm guessing there's less chance of us being burned due to the monster of a label he's on now. Arrows was on some weird indie style label that apparently weren't that good.