rmak

Should Suicide Be Legal?

Should Suicide be legal? What about assisted suicide?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should Suicide be legal? What about assisted suicide?

• Both should be legal
    • Only suicide should be legal
    • Only assisted suicide should be legal
    • Neither should be legal

I'm guessing most heard about that guy in Ottawa who was publicizing his planned suicide. He ended up killing himself two nights ago. Nobody could do anything because its perfectly legal. Although assisted suicide is not legal. I really dont what should or should not be legal in this case.

i don't think assisted suicide shouldn't be legal. it opens up too many doors. it's too easy for it to be abused.

i think it does suck when someone is in real physical, terminal pain and there is nothing to do about it. if there was a way for any laws made to allow euthanasia and for it to not be abused, i would be all for it, but it's too easy to call murder euthanasia.

regular suicide.. i think it sucks but at least it's consentual.

Edited by Lauren

in Canada suicide is legal. that being said, I think assisted suicide should be an option, but there would be miles and miles of paperwork involved.

edit: sorry rmak, I see you've already said the whole "suicide is legal" bit.

Edited by wonks

I'm torn on this. I defently think suicide should be legal (as it being illegal makes no sense, how are you to punish the dead?). And I think in a perfect world assisted suicide should also be legal, but it'd be too hard to make sure that assisted suicide doesn't turn into someone murdering, and making it look like an assisted suicide. I'm voting for both, but under the condition that assisted suicide only allowed in a situation where the other person is physically unable to kill themselves (ie a paralized person, or some other extreme situation).

I think someone should have the right to decide on when it is best for them to die. When someone is sick for example, they can't even use the bathroom on their own or so. They feel everyday their dignity going away. They feel ashamed. Why should they have to live through that when they know their days are counted anyways. I believe they should have the right to seek the right help to end their days. The process should be quite elaborate, many different experts (doctors, psychologists, etc) decide if it is really the best option. Would not be taken lightly but the choice should be there.

With Assisted Suicide, there should be EXPLICIT permission given, in the pressence of Lawyers and Family members, so that it won't be exploited.

If they want to off themselves, so be it B)

In theory it sounds reasonable.

Something to consider though:

Mental illness affecting someone's judgement in deciding to kill themselves. In this case, most would say that the right to make a decision should be revoked upon diagnosis of mental illness. But what if someone with a mental illness genuinely, rationally decides they want to die? Should they no longer legally be allowed to choose this option? On what grounds can they legally decide (severity/type of mental illness?)?

A Crim student once asked me what the only crime was that if you committed it successfully, you couldn't be arrested.

The correct answer was suicide.

My answer was Evading Arrest.

Left to think it over, I don't know if my answer was stupid, or brilliant.

Both should be legal.

Assisted suicide should definitely be monitored and there should be certain steps to doing it in front of various witness and so forth. But making suicide illegal seems really dumb. Would "Attempted Suicide" be a crime too? If someone wanted to die but failed to kill themselves, is punishment really the right thing to do? I think not. DEFINITELY not.

i don't think assisted suicide shouldn't be legal. it opens up too many doors. it's too easy for it to be abused.

i think it does suck when someone is in real physical, terminal pain and there is nothing to do about it. if there was a way for any laws made to allow euthanasia and for it to not be abused, i would be all for it, but it's too easy to call murder euthanasia.

regular suicide.. i think it sucks but at least it's consentual.

I agree with Lauren here, i think that people attempting to commit suicide need to get help. I think that assisted suicide no matter what the arrangments is with lawyers, family etc, is a very very slippery slope, people do things with lawyers and family present and this can still be taken advantage of. People in extreame pain i do feel for completely and i know that sometimes there is not enough morphine in the world to cure the hurt, but if we open this door up, misguided people, and those wanting to take advantage of this could misuse this system. To me, one innocent life dead, isnt worth it.

Edited by supercanuk