supercanuk

Tory Victory

Yah NDP got historic highs. Democracy at work is really id say a hard question. Apparently it was just slightly above from the last election in participation, around 60%ish i dont know the exact numbers at the moment. In addition to that, i know that a lot feel that there is no REAL choice, maybe a lot of people voted for those they didnt want to becasue they felt it was their duty to vote? Maybe im wrong, maybe this is what Canada wants, but it is minority, so hopefully things will be kept in check.

just remember, the tories have very limited power. i kinda like the way the government stands now, it has changed, for the better or for the worst, who knows? but now the liberals can regroup and be an effective opposition like it once was back in the late 1980's. Also the NDP has more power now, which will be good for the enviroment and health care for this country. The Bloc has been hurt by the Tories. Finally the Tories have the power, and it is limited. If they try to ban gay marrage, dont you think the Liberals and the NDP will vote it down? We will finally see what kind of person Steven Happer is but have the power to stop him.

Hopefully there wont be an election in a few years.

The NDP is no longer holding the balance of power. Me thinks they're in a weaker position now.

The NDP are in the same position they were last election - one seat away from holding the balance of power. So close but not close at all.

Chances are the Liberal speaker will stay, meaning 154 seats are needed instead of the 155.

Harper hates minorities and immigrants and gays!!!!!!

haha oh well, i'm not going to get too worked up. there will be another election in a year and a half.

I was worried when i heard that the Con's won, but it's still 124 seats to the right, and the rest on the left, so i can't say i care anymore.

It's not like they have a strong foothold anyway. They wouldn't risk pushing against popular opinion on anything important.

as someone else suggested today, it'll also cast some light on the agendas of his socially 'intolerant' right wing cronies. We'll see.

Edited by Sparq

I think this is good. We get a fresh change of gov't, but Harper really has no power to put in place the crappy socially conservative things he'd like to do if he got a majority.

The Liberals plus the NDP have enough seats together to stop anything the Conservatives put forward.

He can put (the ban of) gay marriage to a free vote, but it will likely be shot down by all 3 major parties. In fact i doubt he'd even try because he'd know it would fail.

I wish the NDP got more seats & the Liberals got less.

Martin is gone as leader of Liberals, but he wasn't a horrible guy and they could do A LOT worse. Some dork like John Manley or weasel like Bill Graham as PM would just give me shivers.

I'm not happy about a conservative win, but I can't complain about the outcome. The way I see it, a conservative minority now will probably better long term than another liberal minority (what would hte point of the last 6 weeks have been if we just ended up with the same government?)

The good news is, of course, that Harper is on a very tight chain.

what happens if Happer becomes a good leader for Canada? i mean, does rock the boat too much, and fallow through on his promises?

Then everything will explode. Clearly.

Exactly.

The day he fallows through on his promises we're all doomed.