Guest jsunC

Dreams

Oh my. *pat pat*

Yeah...Matt kept saying in his blog he was having the same frequent night terror patterns. I hope he considered the advice posted on the topic page to have his doctor review his medication situation.

Mine last night was weird, but i knew i was dreaming. Totally fucked, i just remember this darkness and my mind being like, you're in a dream, get out of it, and i literally pulled myself out of a dream. Waking up, my head hurt and I was like whoah thats totally fucked, ive never consciously been in a dream where i had control, anad last night it happened, and i was able to know i was sleeping and wake myself up.

Anyone ever get that?

I've done that a few times in the past where I knew it was a dream, I wanted out and I woke myself up. There have been other times where I just went with it. It's a very odd feeling.

Last night I had a dream that I was in a bad part of a town with lots of fences and lots of parked cars. There was a police station nearby, too. I was walking around and I got abducted into a rusty looking truck by Jim Carry, who looked fucking homeless and had long hair like Elliott Smith. He started fingering me in the car and raped me. I obviously kept punching him and all of that until I could get out of the car.

I ran out into the street yelling but no one was there, not even any hoodlums like there were before. I had my Benchmade pocket knife from my Coach wristlet and after I got it out discreetly, I started slashing at him. I got him under his left eye a bunch and then went for the throat. I stabbed his windpipe and his jugular, then ran to the police station.

I got inside and told the police what happened and they were completely rude. In fact, they were the cops from Superbad. They laughed to each other as I requested to meet with Thom Merrilin, saying he would know what to do. Thom Merrilin is a court bard in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. They just said "yeah, whatever, have fun with that herpes" and left.

Then Moraine, also a character from the Wheel of Time series, came in as a women's counselor. She was consoling me and touched my face a bunch, but it didn't help the fact that I was raped.

I woke up crying. My roommate was already awake and I'm sure she thought I was insane.

i had a nap today and in my dream people from the bored came over to my house. christine, shorty and evan with his girlfriend came. but his girlfriend was this lady

thandie-newton-picture-6.jpg

for some reason we were listening to propagandhi, and me and evan were hilarious. and then he left 'cause he only came 'cause he didn't hear of anything else happening that night.

it was weird

I was in a weird, slightly futuristic city, and for some reason there was some guy from my highschool (Andrew C...totally random) who was pissed with me for some reason. So we organized a boxing match, and my friends were all helping me out in training. It ended up being one-glove boxing, and the guy attacked me from behind days before the event. I kicked his ass really really badly, made him puke, and then I puked, went to my room, and told my friends.

It was really really random.

it's a medical fact. no one knows why you dream, but people who are "insane" don't.

dimethyltryptamine.

no one knows what it really does, but when you dream your body is producing it. doctors think that when we dream, we're actually tripping on dimethyltryptamine. it's also a fucked up psychedelic drug that i am highly interested in trying.

it's a medical fact. no one knows why you dream, but people who are "insane" don't.

dimethyltryptamine.

no one knows what it really does, but when you dream your body is producing it. doctors think that when we dream, we're actually tripping on dimethyltryptamine. it's also a fucked up psychedelic drug that i am highly interested in trying.

Just youtube Joe Rogan, he goes on a rant about that shit...all natural chemical that we produce to make our brains all fucked up during the night. Fantastic.

Also I think it's illegal...even though we ALL do it.

Yeah it's definitely a medical fact, as meg said. For example, bikers going on those long 3day rides will barely sleep. One of the top contenders in one such race ended up hallucinating that his crew and the other bikers were involved with a conspiracy to kill him, specifically bomb him if I remember correctly. He acted super crazy, screaming and writhing fallen on the ground before being taken out of the race. Doctors said it was because he hadn't dreamed; they say when you dream your brain organizes thoughts and gets rid of the "cache." You need to do it, and you do if you get enough sleep, even if you don't remember it.

I dreamed that my buddy Mike found a pair of wings and gave them to me. I put them on and flew (more glided) around. When I was done, I gave them back to him and we went to a big stadium. As I was walking towards the changeroom some kid asked "Yankees or [some other baseball team]?" because I was wearing a team hat.

I go into the change room and see Mike. But he looks like he didn't bring anything. He sees my concern and is like "oh shit!", and he runs to a pile of stuff and takes a plastic tube out. It's the wings, and he teaches me how to assemble them and gives it to me. I am incredibly happy and eager to fly again, and I tell him "if I do something stupid like jump off of a building with there and die, you can have all my stuff."

dimethyltryptamine.

i've heard of it as drug, but, as you said, people who are 'insane' don't? do they not remember the dream, or do they not recognise that they're dreaming, or do they literally not dream?

this is what i'm trying to figure out for myself, because i'm either not dreaming or not remembering.. i don't know what to think.

You need to do it, and you do if you get enough sleep, even if you don't remember it.

and i guess this could be my situation, as i know my memory has been affected. maybe i'm just not remembering it?

it makes perfect sense, that dreams would be the brain's way of "locking in information," to me, just because it's kinda like re-reading, vs trying to recall something you've read once.. i'm worried because i'm now not sure what department i'm lacking in ;)

i hope i hope i hope they come back i miss them. it's like tv without the mindlessness.

i've heard of it as drug, but, as you said, people who are 'insane' don't? do they not remember the dream, or do they not recognise that they're dreaming, or do they literally not dream?

this is what i'm trying to figure out for myself, because i'm either not dreaming or not remembering.. i don't know what to think.

the thing is, you only dream when you're in rem sleep. so if you're not getting enough sleep or going into a deep sleep it's easy to say that it'd affect your personality. when it happens enough, you get used to it and don't realize you're not sleeping enough, or dreaming.

so yeah, it's not dreaming at all. not not remembering it.

watch this.

That's the vid I was talking about, thanks Megz...didn't have time to find it myself lol.

I believe/heard without REM sleep you will die, it allows your brain to process and sort out the events and knowledge of the day.

EDIT: Retracted and change sentence due to mis-understanding

Edited by Azalroth

Also without REM sleep you will die...

Why do people insist on stating "facts" that they don't know anything about?

Unless you're talking about incredibly large stretches of time (months) without REM sleep, you will NOT die. Sleep is required to live, REM sleep is not. It's very important in maintaining psychiatric health (memory consolidation, etc.), but lack of it is not lethal by any means.

There have been studies done that have deprived HUMANS of REM sleep for weeks on end. They recieved the same total hours of sleep as the control subjects, but were simply not allowed to enter a REM state. This experiment lasted several weeks, and all of the participants survived. REM deprived subjects were irritable and had some other deficits that I can't remember, but the very fact that an ethics board allowed this experiment should be evidence enough that REM sleep is not required to live.

Edited by Prometheon

Fuck, why do people insist on stating "facts" that they don't know anything about?

Unless you're talking about incredibly large stretches of time (months) without REM sleep, you will NOT die. Sleep is required to live, REM sleep is not. It IS very important in maintaining psychiatric health, but lack of it is not lethal by any means.

There have been studies done that have deprived HUMANS of REM sleep for weeks on end. They recieved the same total hours of sleep as the control subjects, but were simply not allowed to enter a REM state. This experiment lasted several weeks, and all of the participants survived. REM deprived subjects were irritable and had some other deficits that I can't remember, but the very fact that an ethics board allowed this experiment should be evidence enough that REM sleep is not required to live.

I Never specified a time period. Also I never said it was fact and I'm obviously not a professional. So calm down man. Cheers.

Edited by Azalroth

I'm not even sure if there is a time period involved. I'm not going to make any claims, because I don't know for sure and it's never been done, but I don't know if you COULD die from a lack of REM sleep alone.

I actually doubt there's EVER been a case of someone dying from "REM-sleep deprivation."

So my point still stands.

Edit: Dude, your exact post says:

Also without REM sleep you will die, it allows your brain to process and sort out the events and knowledge of the day

There's no buffer for saying that you're "not an expert." There's no "I think" or "I'm pretty sure" or "I heard that..."

It's written as a statement of fact. I'm not trying to be a dick, and realistically it isn't a big deal, but it just bugs me to see incorrect information disseminated in this way. If I didn't know better, I would have believed your post 100%, and then this false information would just spread further, you know? You may not be an expert, but when you use a factual tone, people have a tendency to believe it.

Edited by Prometheon

I actually went for a long period without dreaming. That's why I'm kind of interested in this. I went for about 6 months without dreaming. Maybe I had a dream once every two weeks or less than that. Is that normal, or what?

What would cause a lack of REM sleep?

Edited by heyrabbit