AnOceanPearl

Vancouver Megathread

I have decided I much prefer the demos to their 'finished' counterparts. OK, another breakdown after a day or so.

GREAT - Boy Who Could Explode, Empty's Theme Park (demo), Silent Army In The Trees (demo), The Vancouver National Anthem, Bad Pennies (demo obviously, so good).

GOOD - Volcanos, Fought To Fight It, Great Whales Of The Sea.

NOT TO MY TASTE - Us Remains Impossible (bunk verse melody), On Nights Like Tonight (pastiche of older MG songs), Last Parade (cool initial idea, but can't support it's length, not very interesting melodically [chorus in particular])

Some of these sound like Beautiful Midnight/Loser Anthems, which are my favorite Matt Good (with or without band) releases. "I'm on fire" from Silent Army is transcendent! All of BWCE is brilliant. Empty's Theme Park also brings me right back to 99-- in a good way! It sounds like a logical extension of a song like Suburbia, musically anyway.

This is a tough listen though. It's all relatively similar in sound, and it's a long enough album, so it runs out of steam towards the end on a first listen, even if some of my favorites rest there. I heard someone bandy about a comparison to Animals, which doesn't hold much water. Animals had, what is it, four distinct sounding pieces? It's also a thick sounding record, so it's exhausting to take it all in on one listen.

Maybe I should come back in a week and reevaluate again.

laugh out loud, its like everyone just disregarded Matt's posts about the album.

Oh I just read it. Weird for him to assume none of us are trained musically, or barring that, have enough experience to know as much as him. I get that he's a professional musician, but given this is a semi-anonymous community, why does he assume he's the only one? ;) Anyway, it's interesting to read him talk about his own music in a technical way, I liked reading it.

Mr. Good, if you want to run with musical complexity that retains emotion, go buy Figure 8 by Elliott Smith and cut your teeth on those progressions and melodies. Given that you mentioned Nick Drake, it's an appropriate recommendation! (though I hate the comparison).

What's this guy from the matthewgood.com comments yammering on about? Anyone know about this? Bad Pennies afterall perhaps? ;) Here's to hoping.

"I just found by a happy accident the 11th Track!!! (Hidden or Bonus track, whatever you call it). It is but far the best on the album! After listening to the entire 10 song stream at least 20 times I wish I would have known about it earlier. A hidden jem! Masterpiece. I hope it is on the album and not just a

Edited by Manchalivin

Well by the sounds of it it's way after Empty's Theme Park because he says he's listened to it 20 times and hadn't heard it til now. Maybe he's yanking our chain but I don't know why he'd do such a cruel thing. Dammit that would be awesome Bad Pennies making it to the album after all the talk and disappointment about it not being on it.

I think he needs an actual bassist to record with him because it seems like every song has a simple 8th note bass line playing on the root..

He obviously did it on purpose, but i think a more imaginative bass line would make the songs much more interesting...

Just a thought..

First, I have to say that this will certainly not be my last record.

Second, in the future I’m never going to stream demos again.

I'm glad on both counts. I didn't listen to all of the demos, but I wish I hadn't heard any of them because I would rather have just heard all the songs when the album came out (or was streamed, whatever). I'm still very excited about Vancouver either way.

Still, I can't think of any other site or artist that would let the fans into the recording/creation process in such a way...so that was all still very cool and much appreciated.

*edit* and for the record, I don't think any of the demos were better than the album cuts. Maybe the ending of Silent Army in the demo was cooler, but that's about it. The studio versions sound great.

Actually this reminds me. I'm pretty sure there was an organ or keyboard in the demo of Fought to Fight It, but it was taken out of the studio recording. Any reason behind that?

Edited by Gomo

i'm pretty glad that i haven't listened to any of the demos. i think that experience spoiled HM for me a bit and i got over it a bit too soon. this record isn't one that i'm grasping right away, and i like that.

anton: don't get me wrong, i like strings too, but there's just a lot of them. it's a bit overwhelming.

Aw, that blows. It wasn't a matter of wishful thinking, it was that someone actually said there was a hidden track but obviously he was being a retard. I shouldn't have gotten excited so soon. Oh well. Or maybe Matt is just adding to the mystery..hmmmmm? ;)