AnOceanPearl

Vancouver Megathread

If The Boy Who Could Explode didn't have such a big massive sound to it, I could really see it being on Hospital Music, it has the same feel to it that a lot of songs from that album did.

Listening to Great Whales of the Sea. Listening to Matt's vocals in the intro, I keep expecting him to switch into a German accent after hearing that joke outtake he posted on the site. ><

This is a solid album. Definitely appreciate the flow on it = D. It seems like a hybrid of Hospital Music and Avalanche, the good elements.

Edited by eclipse

I checked the lyrics to the Boy Who Explode, it is off base.

Edit: The overall sound and feel of the album is amazing. This is some of his best work since Avalanche.

Edit: #2: The strings on the album came out better than I thought it would.

Favorite songs: Great Whales of the Sea, Empty's Theme Park, Fought To Fight It

Edited by Audio of Being

Too manu useless lead guitar:

-Last Parade

-Us Remains Impossible (the beginning sounds like he's learning to play)

-The Vancouver National Anthem

I think that's just the lack of producer. Artists have good and bad ideas and those useless lead parts are bad ideas.

Also, "On nights like tonight" is the middle part of Avalanche.

Other than that, it's awesome and I think it has a lot of Avalanche and Hospital Music in it (which is good) ;)

I'm listening to the stream right now. It's pretty solid. Us Remains Impossible is highly improved from the demo, and I still am not a fan of TBWCE.

Edits as I listen: I think I dig the demo version of "On Nights Like Tonight" better than the album version, but it's still one of my fav tracks on the album. The line "I smile like I used to when you were around" isn't delivered as emotionally as before, and it always stood out to me as one of more heartbreaking lines in Matt's catalogue, and certainly on the album.

Volcanoes and changed a fair amount and is fucking awesome.

I think I like the Fought to Fight It demo a little better as well, though again it's still awesome. It feels a little too gritty.

Edited by Prometheon

i'm trying to listen to it but my phone keeps fucking ringing...i have missed two songs in its entirety. it's sounding very promising...more like avalanche but i'm not sold yet. i will give the album a PROPER, FULL LISTEN with NO DISTRACTIONS later this week but right now, they're sounding like the weaker tracks on Avalanche, or songs that weren't good enough to make the album. Heck, On Nights Like Tonight was basically a bad version of the song Avalanche.

I will give proper listen though for all of you.

(the second half of the album is slacking a bit as I listen...)

Edited by Shortcut To Moncton

Too manu useless lead guitar:

-Last Parade

-Us Remains Impossible (the beginning sounds like he's learning to play)

-The Vancouver National Anthem

I think that's just the lack of producer. Artists have good and bad ideas and those useless lead parts are bad ideas.

Also, "On nights like tonight" is the middle part of Avalanche.

Other than that, it's awesome and I think it has a lot of Avalanche and Hospital Music in it (which is good) ;)

(faceplant)

you sound like an asshole

if only you'd been there in the recording process to tell Matthew yourself this whole thing could've been prevented!

(faceplant)

you sound like an asshole

if only you'd been there in the recording process to tell Matthew yourself this whole thing could've been prevented!

You sound like a sarcastic prick.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and in some respects I agree with 'Who', with that said, I'm very happy with how this album turned out. I've been doing a lot of driving and the entire album proves to be great driving music.

i would have to say im quite disappointed with this album. i wasnt expecting a whole lot as i wasnt a big fan of hospital music. it would have made an amazing ep, but as a whole album its pretty weak. having said that i expected a few songs to be something special, however there is not a single thing stands out as inspiring or original. it seems to me he has just become really content with being predictable and boring.

Wow, anger amongst the newbies.

;)

My response did not come from anger. As someone who has worked with music for almost a decade, I think it is pretty prodigious of Matthew Good at this point in his career to take charge and move forward with his artist vision as a producer. To say that he needs one is pretty insulting, and comes from someone who has no appreciation for just how much went in to recording this album.

I don't profess that it's perfect, but if you respect the artist enough, it shouldn't have to be. It just seems a bit snotty for someone to come right out and declare how they would've made things better. If you can make it better than by all means, do so.

I really like how he actually sounded angry in that one part on Fought to Fight It.

I also really loved the edge he put into his voice... seems pretty rare to hear that from him.

I've been literally listening to these streams all day, and I can officially say that this is my favourite Matt Good album.