johnerwin

M+ (merged)

I like that Matt seems really determined to make a WHOLE album where every song sounds new and interesting for him. He's posted a couple demos that I personally really like but has made it sound like they won't make the next record because they have parts that sound too typical or familiar of him.

His latest has got some really interesting drumming.

Here are the titles of the ones we've heard so far (in no particular order):

1) Extraordinary Fades

2) Lights Of Endangered Species

3) How It Goes

4) Set Me On Fire

5) We Are A Place

6) What If I Can

Holy shit, I keep saying how random songs and parts are sounding different for Matt but I just heard What If I Can't See The Star's, Mildred? and the first listen it blew me away! It is the most overall different and unique sounding song I've heard from this record so far I'd say and it seems like Matt is sure on it making the record. It's one of the most unique things I think I've ever heard from MG. Not just the instrumentation, bu the vocal approach and delivery, pretty much everything.

If I thought I was interested and excited before, now I really am hyped to shit for how this final record is gonna sound.

Damn it people, post in here already so I don't have to multiple post.

Shallow's Low contains one of the most beautiful and brilliant rock-outs/solos of Matt's career I think. It reminds me of the creativity of rock-outs ala Change of Season and Born to Kill. Not that they sound similar, as this doesn't sound quite like anything else Matt's done imo, but in how grand and awesome it is with regards to the rest of the song. With some different instrumentation this time around, this part is so melodically brilliant. It is too good to not make the final record. And to think this is done with a computer program.

Sorry, I'm not here to try and tease people into signing up for M+, but I am just excited about how this record is coming along so I want to share it with fellow fans/M+ members.

Well thats no fun, haha oh well. And I'm confused with titles, there are 3 songs with different titles that are the same song? Hence me putting short time on earth and what if i cant see the starts mildred

but i guess i'll just have to wait and see

What was the story with Bad Pennies? I remember him mentioning something along the lines of him just throwing the song together and not really giving it much thought after... I'd love to hear him re-do it though, but he doesn't seem to be much of a fan of it.

Also, I remember him mentioning a while ago about possibly re-doing If I Was A Tidal Wave. Has he mentioned anything else about this?

Has there been any mention of when Matt plans to head back to the studio? I wouldn't be surprised if it was January 2011. He seems to like recording in the winter.

He hasn't said for certain, but he implied that it was going to happen in the fall (he mentioned it as something that would happen after the Squamish show). I was a little surprised - I half-expected him to do another tour before recording.

Oh was he talking about maybe starting recording this fall? I thought he said in one of his posts or comments that he wouldn't be going into the studio until late next year at the earliest which I found surprising considering how much he's got done. I probably misunderstood though. That would be great if this record could actually come out next year.

How often does Matt post on M+?

Seems his regular blog posts have dipped in # a lot since M+, i'd imagine a bunch of the stuff he used to post for free is now M+ content. I even wonder if M+ will make Matt $$$ in the long run, since M+ has hurt his regular blog a bit, which has always been a really good marketing tool for him. I would guess that Matt gets a bit less traffic on his site than pre-M+. I certainly go there a little less than i used to based on the reduced content.