johnerwin

M+ (merged)

Hey.. I'm not sure if anyone saw that today, but there was a post that said something along the lines of.. paying $24.99 for specific content on his site (vidoes, advanced tour info., demos.. ect.) for a one year period or choosing not to pay and still being able to access his regular blog entries.

It was taken down fairly quickly afterwards, so I'm not too sure what that was about. He also allowed for comments, but I didn't see any when I looked initially.

Thoughts?

(I understand that if Matt took it down for a reason, he might not want anyone talking about it so if this post seems inappropriate then it's a matter of opinion and I wouldn't mind not discussing it here).

I saw it too, looked like an interesting idea. I especially liked the part about getting into sound checks.

Don't know how many people would actually be willing to pay though, especially when cash is tight like it is right now.

Hmmm, sounds interesting. A lot of bands and artists are going to something like this as an alternative/creative way of making money beyond record sales. I think if something like this became available, I would go for it. I wouldn't pay for something like that with another artist, but I would with Matt.

Anyway, if it was taken down really quickly, I would assume that it probably won't be happening after all. But who knows I guess.

I think I wrote "Really? hmm.." as my response to it and now I feel like shit after that new entry.. I would definitely pay that if there was some good content available.. and as a few have already mentioned, he's the only artist that I'd do it for

I commented on the post and said I was amenable to a cost-recovery strategy and would be willing to support it. Plus, I'm all happy to have access to perks ;) For the most part, although I scanned through the entries quickly, the commentary was positive. But I have to assume that there was enough negative feelings about the idea that it prompted the removal of the post. I believe there is a revamp in the look of the site in the works (based on his now-removed post, even the address of the website was different I think); possibly this was one of the initiatives to be implemented ? I'm not sure what will transpire now based on the current blog entry... I do know that the poster that left an inflammatory comment has posted again to clarify his views..

At that price I would pay. It comes to what? like $2.08 a month? that's ridiculously cheap.

I've been working at my computer all day and pretty much haven't closed a single tab on my internet browser since early this afternoon. So for anyone who was curious and missed the post, here are the details of what Matt had suggested:

There would be a 'standard' version and an 'all access' version of the site. The standard would be the same as it is now, only minus Dear San Diego, the bulk of the current content would remain archived, and there would be two sections 'commentary' and 'news', which is basically just a more specific way of saying what the site already offers. The all access version would have three additional sections, 'personal' 'contributors' and 'dear san diego', the 'personal' weblog would feature video entries and things like the odd acoustic performance of a song and a Q&A session with fans. it also mentioned the opportunity to be selected to go to sound checks and have sort of a meet n great kinda thing, possibly advanced ticket sales, the ability to comment and previews of new work.

I personally think it would be a great idea, and its something that he's mentioned doing several times in the past. But since he deleted the post so fast, I suppose that he once again decided against it. weird. I had found that a lot of the comments seemed to be in favour.

once again, someone said something that pissed him off, and he kinda exploded... we've seen it before. He does have a point though (about the us tour and stuff)... meh, I really don't care but all in all, I probably would've paid for it, mostly to support one of my favourite artists

I remembered back in the avalanche days, Taylor from the metro boards partnered with Matt where members could donate 15 bucks to amnesty in exchange for somewhat exclusive content (If I can recall correctly) It worked out pretty well I think.

I have no problem with $25 a year, although I had originally misinterpreted it as $25 a month, don't ask why. To support an artist that I like as much as Matt and receive exclusive content to boot? I'm all for it, especially if it means that I get to go to a soundcheck once every year and a half or so when he makes it out to the East Coast, makes the shows worth that much more. I hope he does go for it.

i might be the only one here who pays no attention to mg.org. i don't know about you sheep, but i'm only in it for the music.

I'm in it for the music too, but they come hand in hand.. especially when dealing with demos ect.

i might be the only one here who pays no attention to mg.org. i don't know about you sheep, but i'm only in it for the music.

Sheep isn't really a good term for it, is it? Being a fan of the Matt as a whole, his writings, his ideas, his opinions.

I mean going on the site just for the Dear San Diego parts is worth it alone.