johnerwin

M+ (merged)

The reason why non-members can't see comments is so that members feel more safe sharing information between themselves. Everything is private, and not publicly exposed. It's about community, and I think it's the best choice given the issues experienced in the past with commenting.

I think the issues with the comments have always been overblown. As a result comments come and go. I have maybe posted a grand total of 5 comments in Matt's blog entries over the years and at this point I don't even read the blog much anymore...I just glance for music updates every once in a while - more since the US tour started. I didn't even know he posted demos recently until I saw the threads on The Bored.

Gomo, easy to say they're overblown when you're not the one administrating them ;) People come to his site for different reasons. In order to have a sustainable, secure and enjoyable experience, M+ was created. No one's forced to join and they'll always be great stuff whether you're a member or not.

I've just seen a lot worse on the Internet than what I've seen in the comments on Matt's blog in the past. I didn't read the comments too regularly, but when I did I'd read things people objected to and I didn't think any of it was that bad to begin with.

It's a moot point now. People set out to post contentious stuff in his comments will most likely not pay for membership so Matt has the civility he wants.

So...I guess everybody wins.

Edited by Gomo

I've seen worse on the internet as well, but it's usually when the average age trends down below 18. And with all the political commentary it can get infuriating to get stupid predictable responses over and over again. Anonymity kind of guarantees that'll happen.

I kind of enjoy the appearance angry stupidity, but not if I'm tasked with semi-controlling it.

If I am missing something please fill me in because I don't mean to be ignorant.

I know $25 dollars isn't that much but I would probably never subscribe to it. (I respect Matt's opinions, but politically or religiously I could not be further away from his viewpoints.) But that's what makes the world go around, right? I think it's neat that he wants a more intimate atmosphere where people can post their viewpoints and feel comfortable. Despite the neat demos and stuff...what's the real incentive to join? His setlist book? Yeah, it would be nice to have but what are the odds of winning. The Forum...we already have one here. $25 dollars to hear Matt's opinions and editorials? Everyone has opinions. I can't justify that. If you can, great. I wish Matt and the designers of the site the best of luck with it.

The M+ posts are the fun, goofy ones rather than just opinion stuff. He's talked a bit about recording the albums and offered alternate tracklists for AoB and WLRRR. He's posted a few anecdotes from the current tour. Today, he posted a list of the gear that he's got. As far as content, I far prefer the M+ content to the regular blog.

If it stays even generally like this throughout the year, I'll be more than happy at having paid $25. (Honestly, if it stays like this for the year, $25 is a bargain.) But, in fairness, it is pretty early - it'll be fun to see how things progress, especially once Matt gets home.

Edited by uglyredhonda

It's been re-posted, there was a small issue with some of the comments that were posted regarding when he took it down. The song is 'We Are A Place', a new version of the My Song 2 that Matt posted a while back with a longer piano intro and lyrics.