johnerwin

M+ (merged)

EDIT: basically repeated what johnny said in less detail.

I'll add this, which popped up in the M+ Forums. The "Great Whales of the Sea" video isn't happening. (Matt apparently didn't care for how it turned out.) The director is repurposing the footage into something else.

Edited by uglyredhonda

I'll add this, which popped up in the M+ Forums. The "Great Whales of the Sea" video isn't happening. (Matt apparently didn't care for how it turned out.) The director is repurposing the footage into something else.

Gah, I had a feeling something was up. I'm assuming the director got paid either way, so why not just share it with the M+ community as a perk? Kinda lame if you ask me.

Oh, and Matt's apparently had a few conversations with Warne Livesey.

Oh? Could this mean something of interest? Like Matt getting Warne to do his next record? I wouldn't be complaining if that were the case, that's for sure.

Update: he yanked the last demo tonight and posted a new one called "Lights of Endangered Species". He says it'll be up for a day or two.

I haven't listened to any of the new demos, so I can't gauge if it's something that was put online previously.

Gah, I had a feeling something was up. I'm assuming the director got paid either way, so why not just share it with the M+ community as a perk? Kinda lame if you ask me.

Yeah, but anything he released, even if just to the M+ community, would wind up going out to the public at large, if indirectly. Plus, I'd hate to be the artist who's work gets released as, "Meh, this wasn't good enough, but here it is."

Oh? Could this mean something of interest? Like Matt getting Warne to do his next record? I wouldn't be complaining if that were the case, that's for sure.

He didn't say that specifically, but there were hints of that possibility. Without going into too much detail (it was a long-ish post), he basically noted that he and Warne felt they hadn't accomplished what they'd set out to do when they first started working together. Matt's always mentioned being a fan of the last two Talk Talk records - Livesey produced Mark Hollis' (Talk Talk's lead) solo album, and it sounds like Matt's got his eye on that as an influence for some of the new stuff.

Edited by uglyredhonda

I finally just decided to go for an M+ membership and see how it goes. I figured even if I'm totally disappointed and feel ripped off I'll know for next year not to subscribe again and know at least it's helping Matt out. Plus it's not a ridiculous amount of money. Only one way to find out and I'm sure I'll at least get some money's worth. The entries I was seeing for members and the thought of hearing demos and whatnot had me so curious so I went for it. I debated it for a while and thought I probably wouldn't do it but then said screw it. MG is the only musician I'd pay for a membership for.

I have a lot to catch up on.

Edited by Manchalivin

Since he has posted Hornets with vocals and an updated A Short Time on Earth.

My my my is this record gonna be different I think but I have pretty high hopes it will be awesome. This latest one is real different for Matt and intrigued me right away.

Question: how long does Matt leave unfinished songs/demos up on M+? There was one song i loved that he had up about a week or 2 ago that he posted for everyone (even non-M+ people) that had the word "In" when you right-clicked while the song was playing (though dont know if thats the actual name) and im wondering if i get M+ will i still be able to hear it?

I've only been a member for a few days but it seems he leaves them up for a day or two or until he posts another one. That one he let everyone hear is called In a Place of Lesser Men and as far as I know it's not up anymore. Perhaps I could swing a little something something your way though.

Not sure if anyone can clear this up.... but any help would be appreciated:

I'm sort of late to the game in regards to subscribing to M+. I guess the one thing I'm wonder is if, say.... I sign up today.... would all the demos and such still be up, or does he take songs/entries down?

As a side to this, I listened to all the Vancouver demos prior to that record coming out. That album is one of my favorites of all time by anyone, and I'm trying my hardest to stay away from demos this time around.

In any event, if anyone could help with my Q's, it'd be great.