Crusader

New Demos Going Up (Chaotic Neutral)

Matt - I understand what you're saying about the economics/time getting in the way of a 20+ minute song on what's expected to be a full length album with 8 to 10 songs. Have you ever thought about or has the label ever mentioned recording another EP? That's kind of a better place to experiment with stuff like a 20 minute track. I know that traditionally EPs are short, but a longish EP I always think of from not too long ago is All Delighted People by Sufjan Stevens. It was marketed as an EP and sold at a cheaper price, but it was nearly an hour in length. It did contain a couple of different versions of one track and also some "non commercial" stuff, like a 17 minute song featuring wacky guitars throughout.

Side note - I'm not gonna lie. Bad Pennies is on the playlist that I use when I go out for a run. I totally get that it's a joke and it'll never be recorded, but there's something about it I'll always like.

Yeah, Moment would be a perfect selection for an encore song at the show in Calgary on the 25th too.... *wink wink nudge nudge*

I love the keyboard/piano parts.

Edited by girl

I've been lucky enough to have heard most of these demos right before I went to work each time, and Moment ranks up there for me. Just an amazing job on that one. Tiger By The Tail is right behind it.

Also, it'd be awesome to see you bring Hornets back and do a studio version of it.

In any event, great job on these demos thus far.

Moment is another great one as well. I think knowing the story behind the song adds so many layers to it that elevates it even further. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I totally understand the constraints between the creative and business side of the recording process. We are happy to experience any music that you make, no matter the length of the song.

Given the success of Trent Reznor scoring movies, let's start a petition to have Matt score some movies!!

Given the success of Trent Reznor scoring movies, let's start a petition to have Matt score some movies!!

Also, don't forget the success of Jonny Greenwood (of Radiohead) scoring movies. He won an Oscar for it too. I think they have online petitions on the internet. You should start one. Maybe I'll put my name on it.

Edited by girl

NOFX did a 17 minute one song "EP" The Decline and it's bad ass. Tough to say if it'd be worth releasing something like that in the long run, though. Recording any 20 minute song would be a nightmare I can only imagine, but the results just might be worth it..... Just do a pair of 20 minute songs for an album. Retro and prog is in, I bet it would get people talking. And to ensure you get as much studio time as you need, you could always just write songs for Jack Johnson to supplement recording budgets, haha.

To me, the new stuff is sounding like a streamlined version of LOES. Perhaps a bit more of a focused attempt to bring out the overall tone and musical themes of that album but in a "rock" styled tasty candy coating? While it's a bit early to really say, even as demos these have a cohesive vibe to them. Thanks for posting them!

And since a few were mentioned, I must say if any song deserves some studio quality recording I would put my vote for If I Was A Tidal Wave. Sure it doesn't really fit in, but it's still an underrated gem. Perhaps it has a place on a sequel recording to Rooms...? Wislisting FTW!

You should start one. Maybe I'll put my name on it.

Ha! We should just petition the man himself! I forgot about Jonny too. Lots of people have had success doing it. I even listen to video game soundtracks. The Last of Us soundtrack is brilliant and haunting.

Anything with Matt's name on it is a good thing.

I guess they haven't been mixed but in Moment I'd like to hear the acoustic guitar a bit more when the drums kick in, maybe turn down the piano and drums, especially the drums, I feel like the chorus is too loud.

I liked Tiger By The Tail, I wouldn't change anything.

New version of We Have Done This Before is much better, didn't like the chorus.

I like the idea of Matt scoring a movie. Hey Matt why don't you try scoring a pre-existing movie as an exercise, show it to a couple close friends and see what kind of a response you get? Who knows, could be a new source of income.

I like We Have Done This Before, We Will Do It Again version 2 ten times better than the first one. It would be a nice song to listen to when you're driving on the highway.

In case anyone missed the lyrics:

We Have Done This Before, We Will Do It Again

We have done this before

we will do it all again

the kids in the corner are shaking and screaming

“I am lightning that will be your undoing”

we have been here before

we have done this before

and we will do it all again

We have fought here before

we have lost here before when the fix was on winning

there’s rats in the corn breeding and eating

the floor under your feet, all up and down your street

busting down doors and dragging ‘em

we have been here before

we have done this before

and we will do it all again

The cross we are, the dust where we begin

the sun and the stars, the grated earth

the canyons and the chords, the rusted seraphim

the pronoun of the Lord, the grated earth

Your body’s lying everywhere

post mortem, a warning to victims

there are none that forswear believing for glass and golden prisons

airships, we’re leaving for somewhere

in defence of feeding the business of freedom

so shoot your birds and bees

get down on your knees

and get your smile working

Well I know a place to hide you

but don’t you look back unless to remind you it’s just a lie

yeah, I know a place to hide you

The first time you hear a new song how it sounds can depend on many factors. I've found that some of my favourite tracks are songs I didn't initially connect with on the first (or first few) listens. This new version has more depth which I like, especially the more I listen to it.

Ok nevermind my other post. I don't know what I was talking about. The song is good, and interesting. Some really nice subtleties. I like the random piano touches and guitar work. Some solid vocal parts too.

That new version of We Have Done This Before is fantastic. Nothing wrong with the first one, but this is far better. Especially with Warne producing it would sound mighty.

To me it still sounds like trying to recreate LOES just with more "traditional" instruments. Fine by be, though.That album had plenty to dig into sonically and this already does as well in demo form.

All I want to hear now is that Ian Browne is going to drum on it. Blake or Pat would be excellent of course, but as far as I'm concerned the combo of Warne + Ian has resulted in some of my favourite drum tones on a record. Advertising on Police Cars and Suburbia would I think be obvious examples. Bring on the ghost notes and snare drags!

The only thing I'll say is I still prefer the riffs in Something Like A Storm to the last couple of tracks, but gotta remember they're all only demos so can't judge until the finished products.

Edited by Gomo

Yeah, Something Like A Storm and Night Orders stand out most to my ears. I think Matt said he still plans on recording Night Orders. I am liking the new demo quite a bit though and Tiger by the Tail is great too. I really enjoy the instrumentation in it. Such nice melodic work.

I agree about LOES vibes. I just hope this album feels more focused than LOES. To me it seemed like a kind of random collection of good songs rather than a cohesive, well flowing album.

Is Warne producing this one THE MAN?

Edit: Holy crap, a new demo is up already!

Edited by Manchalivin