Crusader

Chaotic Neutral 2015/2016 Tour Dates

Cool.

Me too basically. I've been to every one of his concert tours since June 2001. I'm surprised I haven't missed one.

Too bad I didn't get 1st or 2nd row for this tour. It took me one hour of trying to finally get pre-sale tickets. There seemed to be a glitch on ticketbreak. Row H will have to do.

Yeah, my tickets are on the floor but several rows back. Will still be great though I'm sure. On Bones' side of the stage.

Update, I did win!

Congrats! You'll have to show us a picture of your prize. I wonder what your special location was.

Edit: Oh, I see. It was the yellow Emily Carr House. Interesting.

I wonder what they're going to do in Calgary. Perhaps, one of the statues or public art on Stephen Avenue Mall? Or maybe that public art piece, that changes color, in Barb Scott Park (12 Avenue and 9 Street SW)? The possibilities are endless...  :)

Edited by girl

Congrats! You'll have to show us a picture of your prize. I wonder what your special location was.

Edit: Oh, I see. It was the yellow Emily Carr House. Interesting.

I wonder what they're going to do in Calgary. Perhaps, one of the statues or public art on Stephen Avenue Mall? Or maybe that public art piece, that changes color, in Barb Scott Park (12 Avenue and 9 Street SW)? The possibilities are endless... :)

I plan on waking bright and early for this haha... I shall be standing by in Calgary. It would be nice to win and bring some friends along to the show.

Edited by Konez

Victoria (Alix Goolden Hall):

I'll post my comments on the show underneath this, but I'll just get the setlist posted for you guys first.  These are definitely all the songs that were played, the order just might be slightly off in the middle:

Cold Water

Army of Lions

Born Losers

Cloudbusting

Moment

All You Sons and Daughters

Alert Status Red

Load Me Up

Los Alamos

Kid Down the Well

No Liars

Harridan

Weapon

Giant

Girls in Black

Apparitions

I don't believe I forgot anything...

Alright here are my comments on the Victoria show...

This venue is awesome (Matt also commented so a few times).  It's a very old church that is now used as a concert venue.  So, just imagine seeing Matt play in a church and you'll get the idea.  Seating on the floor is pews and there is a balcony that wraps around up top.  The stage is what you would normally see at a church, just a small step up (not much separation from the crowd on the floor).  Matt stepped down off the stage during Girls in Black and sang a large part of the song from the front of the floor.  I was in the very front row, so I was only a few feet from him during this (pretty awesome).

There was a healthy amount of banter early in the show, Matt seemed to be in a good mood.  Although he was giving the crowd a pretty hard time as everyone stayed seated during the early part of the show.  He said a few times it felt very weird and "felt like a job interview".  Matt joked that Chantal Kreviazuk was also playing in Victoria tonight and people might have shown up to the wrong show.  Everyone finally stood up for Alert Status Red/Load Me Up, but things were then slowed right down with Los Alamos.  The crowd was standing again for most of Harridan, Weapon and the entire encore, so atmosphere picked up by end.

The set was very heavy on Chaotic Neutral as you can see, with every song being played except for Tiger by the Tail.  Stand outs for me were:

Cloudbusting - surprised to see this played, but it was a really great arrangement that is a bit more rocking, ended up being one of the highlights of the night for me.

Girls in Black - this was crazy good live, very loud, very powerful.  Combined with Matt coming down onto the floor, this was the biggest highlight for me.

Harridan - Matt's vocals were really great in this

Also, just a note, Los Alamos was played with Matt, Stu and Blake all on guitar (kind of interesting).

Overall, it was my sixth time seeing Matt live and possibly the best time I've had at one of his shows.  I'm really loving Chaotic Neutral as an album so I didn't mind at all that he pretty much played the whole thing.  I'm sure they will work in other back catalogue stuff as the tour goes on.   Being extremely close was a great experience as well.  I have sat front row at one other MG show, but just because of the setup of the venue, this was even better.

• Upvote 1

Curtster, 

Looks like you got all the songs...if I remember correctly Moment and Cloudbusting were switched from your order, and he definitely left the stage to Harridan so switch that with Weapon.  Other than that looks bang on. 

I completely agree with you on Harridan and Girls in Black live, they are my two least favourite on the album, But live were definite standouts.  Cloudbusting surprised me too, really had not idea if this would be done without Holly, But it's a more uptempo rocking version and as you said done well, glad to see it in the set.  

I was surprised at the amount of new material played, I loved it being a fan of the album and getting to hear those songs aired live for the first time for me was a highlight.  I do think it lost some of the crowd though.  You could feel that about half the room was into the new stuff, and then the other half would get excited for the hits, But in a set with 10 new songs played, if you were just there for the hits, and weren't familiar with the new material you probably were lost.  No complaints for me on it though, just something I noticed looking around the venue.  

Edited by adam_777

Guest Idioteque

I broke my rule, couldnt do it.

Oh lordy thank god i love this new album, i usually hope to hear every track off a new album at least once, Im still sad i never had the chance to hear Mutineering and Hey Hell Heaven live. I'd probably choose any other song off CN over Cold Water though since it's a very one mood middle of the road track, especially as an opener.

The venue sounds awesome and im glad you guys had a great time.

What a great setlist. I love that it's heavy on new material, though I was hoping for some AOD stuff since that is the tour I missed, but really I'm glad to have missed that one over this tour.

I'm getting so excited for our trip! We've got our passports ready to go, I'm hoping the border won't be too busy on the 27 since it's the day after American Thanksgiving so people will be out and about. Either way, we are leaving early in the morning to ensure plenty of time to get there, I think the drive is just over 3 hours.

Matt was ribbing with the crowd about not standing and not clapping along.  Some girl up front yelled out "at least we came"  I'm not positive, But I think that peeved Matt a bit, his response to it was pretty funny though he said "yeah, that's the same thing I said when I saw the Police on the Synchronicity tour, I told Sting 'At least I fucking came'"  

I never get that. I saw Matt at a theatre in 2009 and it seemed like everyone sat glued to their chairs until the point came where others around them stood up forcing them to as well. I think the venue I went with for this tour seems to be general admission only.

Wow. That venue though! Look at the organ in the background, looks like an awesome setting. Very happy is Stu is along on this tour as well.

Looks like a tremendous setlist.  For any youtube hunters  there is a video up of Los Alamos from the show. Hoping for more vids to be added as the weekend goes on.

Do you have a link of the Los Alamos video? I tried searching and I couldn't find it. The user might have taken the search option off and kept it hidden.

Edited by jackwork

I like standing at concerts, but I also hate being the only one to stand and having people behind me complain. It's a tough balance. All it takes is the first few rows to stand to get everyone else to do it...but sometimes triggering that is hard.

One Our Lady Peace I went to a few years back had a guy who got out of his seat and ran back and forth at the front of the theatre and pumped everyone up, making people stand up before they came on. So when they came on it was 3 hours of really high energy, it was awesome. It was the "Evening with OLP" tour, where they did 2 sets, the first being an entire CD (Clumsy, in this show), and then a second 18-song setlist after a short break. It was incredible.

Um, I don't see a lyrics book.

I wish they had the cute howling wolf on the women's maroon triblend shirt. I would buy it for sure then. I'm not digging the yellow lions.

Right now, I'm struggling to get Beautiful Midnight out for the last half of the tour, and online. But right now it's not looking good. Universal has to be involved and are doing all they can, but they've had manufacturing set backs, having to return to a European manufacturer that they know does quality work. If it were just about business I'd do Underdogs because I own the masters, but I know BM would be the most popular.

Maybe some lucky fans will get their hands on Beautiful Midnight for the last half of the tour. If you want it and see it on sale on tour/online, I wouldn't hesitate and would buy it ASAP.

Edited by girl

Guest Idioteque

I'll be choked if it makes it on tour after the BC shows but I'm guessing it won't be ready until 2016. Oh well at least he's aware of the hype for vinyl now. As long as I can eventually buy it I don't mind waiting. I'm probably going to waste all my money on the Chaotic Neutral scarf & toques, ima look fabulous.

Campbell River set according to MG's instagram site

Load Me Up

Harridan

Born Losers

Kid Down the Well

Cold Water

All You Sons and Daughters

No Liars

Tiger by the Tail

Alert Status Red

Army of Lions

Apparitions

Los Alamos

Weapon

Cloudbusting

Hello Time Bomb

Giant

Guest Idioteque

Not bad not bad. I wonder when he's going to start putting in the older songs. I wouldn't mind not hearing Hello Time Bomb this tour, love the tune but would rather hear something rare.

With all of that brand new material, he has to throw some older singles in to appease the casual masses and we know what those songs are going to be: Hello Timb Bomb, Load Me Up, The Future is X-Rated, Born Losers, Alert Status Red, etc. It's just a necessity. He can't afford to alienate the majority of casual fans. It's alright. I think that looks pretty enjoyable!

Edited by NonPopulus

It seems Apparitions, Load Me Up, Time Bomb and Giant are his four 'old song' staples. All very good songs obviously, but I'd be okay seeing them switched out for just about anything at this point -- just for sake of variety. But I'd also be okay if he only performed solo material and didn't play any MGB songs at all.......so I don't think I exactly represent popular fan opinion!

I thought Rabbits would be a staple too.....but I think he'll eventually find a spot in the setlist for that -- hopefully sooner than later. I know at one point he loved performing it, but I'm thinking it may be a bit taxing on his vocal chords.

I'm loving the influx of Chaotic songs though.....can't wait to see those live. If they don't satisfy the casual fans hoping to 'hear the hits'.......well, that's too bad!

Guest Idioteque

I agree. I'm starting to notice I'm enjoying his solo songs live more than MGB songs (only because I hear his big hits everytime I see him). A swap from Load Me Up to Everything Is Automatic & Apparitions with Strange Days should satisfy the single hunters (and me cough cough).

Mr. Trufflepig,  I was just going to post the exact same thing. Great minds think alike.  I wouldn't mind hearing Strange Days and Everything Is Automatic more.  Load me up can be fun if he adds snippets of cover songs to the middle of the song like he used to.  My preference would be to remove alert status red and born losers completely.  Maybe sub in Under the Influence and  In A World Called Catastrophe?