here is no why

Official Tour Setlist/review Thread 2009/2010

And jenni's song too?? That song is amazing.

The biggest thing I'm noticing - that has been said a few times already - is that most (if not all) of the songs that are being played that are not from Vancouver are the same songs that were played on the last tour.

I hope he adds in other stuff as the tour goes on that we haven't seen live in a while.

When I read someone dissing Middle Class Gangsters, I immediately thought of that Seinfeld episode where the gay tough guy turns around and says "Who doesn't want to wear the ribbon?!"

Man, that whole record is so solid, beginning to end. I'm very proud to say Gangsters is one of my favourite tracks of Matthew's. I think it would be awesome if he played it. And yeah, that solo is effing sweet. I love that main riff, too, with the flanger. So good.

Agreed.

And what is the problem with Middle Class Gangsters? I don't understand why you're so against that song. It's not Rico. Not only is it nowhere near horrible, it's actually a pretty kick ass song with a sweet Dave Genn solo.

The bridge in Rico is awesome though. There are worse songs in his catalog than both Rico and Middle Class Gangsters. Just listen to White Light to find those.

I consider Anti-Pop a guilty pleasure, and MCG I have mixed feelings about. I haven't given Underdogs a spin in a while, might do that later tonight. I kind of killed it listening to it at the gym while running a while ago. Also in the guilty pleasure category, Load Me Up acoustic but it's from one show that I heard on youtube, forget which one. It was freaking sweet the first time I heard it.

But as for worst song? Don't know that I could name one that is a constant dislike. Depends on the mood I'm in - sometimes I could skip half of the songs on Hospital Music if I'm not feeling it (not that I have actually done that), but if it came to it I would probably skip Devils in Your Details and Moon Over Marin at times. Maybe even 99% if I was so inclined. But like I said, that hasn't happened because I just listen to the album I feel suits the mood.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that there's not really one bad song that stands out for me. ;)

Agreed.

And what is the problem with Middle Class Gangsters? I don't understand why you're so against that song. It's not Rico. Not only is it nowhere near horrible, it's actually a pretty kick ass song with a sweet Dave Genn solo.

Yeah sick Genn solo! So dirty, kinda miss all the effects and distortion he squeezed into his contributions to MG songs. Not that they'd have any place in Matt's solo work.

"It used to matter when we used to Rockk!"

The bridge in Rico is awesome though. There are worse songs in his catalog than both Rico and Middle Class Gangsters. Just listen to White Light to find those.

Gimme a break. Your loss, bud!

See, and I don't think Rico is a bad song. It's not great by any means, but it's a song that I find fun, whereas with TDIYD, MCG and some others, I don't find there to be anything that catches my attention or pulls me into the song. I could give you a whole bunch of songs that I feel that way about, not only from Matt, but from lots of bands I like.

To each their own!

Edited by AnOceanPearl

iPut Out Your Lights and Poor Man's Grey. Sidenote: Is there any new merch this time? If so how is it? Also, are they selling Vinyl at the shows?

Both those songs are really solid, I think. If I had to pick a couple off White Light, I'd probably go with It's Been A While, and believe it or not, Blue Skies. That's a song I just never could get into. I always found it a complete waste of time at the live shows, save for a pretty cool improvised jam at the very end. But you won't even get that anymore with the new band *sigh*

And just so everyone knows, Vancouver Vinyl is back up on Maple Music right now in case you thought they were sold out. $24 ain't bad, considering in a year you'll pay at least $50 on ebay.

According to my friend, this is the setlist so far for the show tonight (will update as I get texted):

The Boy Who Could Explode

Great Whales of the Sea

Fought to Fight It

Born Losers

Avalanche

Apparitions

The Vancouver National Anthem

Last Parade

A Silent Army in the Trees

Blue Skies Over Bad Lands

Weapon

Empty's Theme Park

----

Giant

Us Remains Impossible

Champions of Nothing

Edited by AnOceanPearl

yep, Blue Skies Over Bad Lands was like my piss break songs at concerts.... I just never got the big deal about that song

That song encapsulates the confusion and remorse I feel (and especially felt at the time) for the situation that innocent people, who just want to live their fucking lives in relative peace, are subject to because of the idiocy and inhumanity of a few megalomaniacs that control an army. An army we finance in part, and which we allow through silence and indifference, to destroy families and culture. Yeah it's just a song, but by 'not getting the big deal about it' you reveal a level of disinterest in basic compassion for your fellow man that is appalling. Not trying to be preachy here, but I gotta speak my mind on this. I mean, really? Enjoy your piss man, I wonder if you bother to aim the stream in the urinal, or just go all over the floor.

The show tonight was amazing. The performance was top notch and I liked the setlist. I am so happy that I didn't have to hear Hello Timebomb or Load Me Up. I was not a big fan of the last tour, but this go around was light years ahead of last year. The 5 minute Olympic speech during the VNA intro was probably the highlight of the show for me. Also the Vancouver songs are a million times better live. The drums are full and the band dynamics were top notch. The merch is excellent this time. They were selling some pretty sweet shirts, 2 Matt Good Scarfs, and they even sold some vinyl. Oh and if you are going to a date on this tour, please get there on time for Mother Mother. You won't regret it. Despite his smoking habit, Matt's vocals were very impressive. Hopefully tomorrow's show is equally good.

Edit: Comicboy, what the hell is your problem when you don't agree with someone? No offense but you come across as a tool.

Edited by noise_pollution

I was pretty underwhelmed tonight, honestly. Having been to the Vancouver shows at the last 5 tours now, I just couldn't much get into the setlist tonight. Also, there were WAY too many assholes in the crowd just yelling in the middle of songs. "Oh it's the quiet part of a song? I bet the whole fucking crowd that paid good money to be here wants to hear me yell like a moron"...I get it once or twice, but it was constant throughout the night.

yep, Blue Skies Over Bad Lands was like my piss break songs at concerts.... I just never got the big deal about that song

I'll admit that I agree... I mean, I think the lyrics convey a really great message. But, for me it just feels like the song is too long and goes through long draughts where not much happens musically. It may actually be the one and only Matt Good song that I struggle get through the entire track without changing it. And it just didn't fit being placed right in the middle of WLR&RR in my opinion.

I hope the show tonight is a good one... hopefully he plays Avalanche again. He didn't play it at the show I was at on the last tour and it sounds like it's amazing live.

Edited by Curtster