here is no why

Official Tour Setlist/review Thread 2009/2010

That song encapsulates the confusion and remorse I feel (and especially felt at the time) for the situation that innocent people, who just want to live their fucking lives in relative peace, are subject to because of the idiocy and inhumanity of a few megalomaniacs that control an army. An army we finance in part, and which we allow through silence and indifference, to destroy families and culture. Yeah it's just a song, but by 'not getting the big deal about it' you reveal a level of disinterest in basic compassion for your fellow man that is appalling. Not trying to be preachy here, but I gotta speak my mind on this. I mean, really? Enjoy your piss man, I wonder if you bother to aim the stream in the urinal, or just go all over the floor.

That's a bunch of nonsense. He didn't say anything about not getting the lyrics. He doesn't like the song. Nothing wrong with that.

All due respect.

Edited by Gomo

Yeah I really enjoy Blue Skies on WLR&RR but never really got into it live, not sure why... I liked the first version of the song from the Ottawa Civic Centre bootleg, I believe, with the more pronounced guitar riff throughout the song. I do appreciate the lyrics and what they convey, there are just other songs I have a personal preference for. And as for Devil's In Your Details, I just really love the instrumentation on that one.

BTW Matt, I wasn't meaning to complain about what you play. Obviously you're gonna play what you want to and I've never been to a show of yours I didn't enjoy. I was more thinking of my fantasy setlist as it were, which I'm sure all fans of yours have to a certain degree. My apologies if my posts came off like complaining, I know it's easy for fans to criticize setlists when they're not the ones who have to rehearse the material, travel across the country and play several shows a week. As the artist who created these songs and puts all the effort into the live show, I fully respect what you do for everyone so thanks.

Looking forward to London in just over two weeks! ;)

Yeah my comment was a bit overboard (overbored?), sorry for being snipey folks. I was responding to a pretty general statement, discussion would have been a better route. I am ridiculously defensive of WLRRR for some reason - prolly 'cause it seems relatively few MG fans appreciate it much, and it just blows my mind. Dave I've never been called a tool before, thanks!

Matt's comment was straight up, made me smile. But we'll keep yammering on anyway won't we? 'Cause it's FUN!

I had the joy of going to the first Vancouver show, and it sounds like it may have been the best so far. We got 2 hours of wonderful, energetic music, and a bit of conversation. I am never dissapointed at his shows, and this was one of the best I have seen. He actually, to my surprise, played the entire Vancouver album, though he played so much stuff, that I am having a hard time remembering in which order he played. Of course he can't play every everyone's favorite songs, so I think it's silly that people actually complain about what he doesn't play, instead of happy for what he does play. I loved, loved, loved it, and it was worth the wait. Keep it up Matt.

I'm very tired from last night, so, sorry for the typos ;)

Yeah, I mean I had a good night, and I understand that when you hire a band and they have to learn the songs from scratch you're going to be kind of limited in what you can play. I suppose in that sense I'd say I prefer the acoustic format now. I'll never get tired of hearing Weapon live, though. Ever. That song is great.

There's bound to be bitching about the setlist. What someone played/didn't play, though. It's natural.

Edited by ccf23

Here is my Point of View.

You want Matt to tour, but you all want him to play what you all like.

The choice is clear you either enjoy the show, and let him play what he wants, or you sell your tickets, and not go.

But then you will complain that you missed the show if you choose not to go.

So shut the fuck the up, and deal with the setlists as they stand.

That song encapsulates the confusion and remorse I feel (and especially felt at the time) for the situation that innocent people, who just want to live their fucking lives in relative peace, are subject to because of the idiocy and inhumanity of a few megalomaniacs that control an army. An army we finance in part, and which we allow through silence and indifference, to destroy families and culture. Yeah it's just a song, but by 'not getting the big deal about it' you reveal a level of disinterest in basic compassion for your fellow man that is appalling. Not trying to be preachy here, but I gotta speak my mind on this. I mean, really? Enjoy your piss man, I wonder if you bother to aim the stream in the urinal, or just go all over the floor.

Hmmm, first of, its a song, so calm down, I completely agree with what you say, and believe it or not I'm one of the ones who actually pays attention when Matt or anybody else by any means starts talking or commenting or blogging whatever about human rights issues, war... and I strongly respect their views. Now having said that, I am at a concert and I came to have fun, I don't like the song, it's too long and boring and nothing happens, so I'll go take a piss. And just to answer your question, I do aim, I usually don't pay attention where it lands though

Firstly, allow me to preface this by saying that no matter what Matthew plays when I see him in the coming weeks, I will be satisfied. I am a huge fan of his body of work. What I do take issue with is the attitude displayed in his post. Matthew has been lucky enough to have had, and continue to have, success in the music industry and especially at a time now when it is in such dire straits. I have yet to display my opinions on the setlists for the current tour, however, I do not enjoy feeling as though if I did, the artist in question is telling me that my opinion amounts to shit and I can fuck off.

Allow me to be honest. I do feel as though the sets could be longer. I have seen multiple bands this year, most of whom generally play between 17-20 songs, playing a set around the 2hr+ mark. A few of those bands cost $10, but still manage to pull out 120 minutes of music even though they are playing for less money to a smaller crowd. I understand Matthews situation is different with him not having a permanent band, but myself, and I'm sure many other musicians on here, can learn Matts songs in 10-15 minutes (I learn by ear) so I'm sure professional session musicians can do the same. That is their job. Whether or not they live in Toronto or wherever, they still have the cd's to study and any live alterations can be brought about during rehearsals. I've seen bands who have line-up changes like you wouldn't believe, but still pull out old or rare songs.

If I'm paying $60 to see an artist, as I am with Matt, I reserve the right to opine on which songs I would like to see included or not. If I would love to see "Tripoli", then I am allowed to say so. If there is a song on the setlist I'd rather see removed, then I am allowed to say so. I am allowed to have fantasy setlists.

The part of Matt's post I took the biggest issue with was, "I'll play whatever I fucking want". What kind of message is this for, firstly your core fans who have supported you from the ninties or new fans who are only now discovering your impressive discography. You're not playing for yourself. You're playing for your fans. Without them, you don't have a job, basically. Ultimately you choose the final setlist, but if there are a number of fans who you know yearn for certain songs, if they're paying your wage, why not do them a favour? Play it acoustic even.

Anyhow, I do not wish to be disrespectful, just honest and like I said, whatever set is played when I see you, I will be happy purely out of my love of this music.

i agree with everything that was just said. I have been a fan of Matt's and will continue to be forever. this is a discussion about the tour from the hardcore fans across the country that has made Matt a star. The whole point of this topic was to discuss what we like/don't like from the tour. If people want to discuss the bad, so be it. I have made numerous posts about what i'd like to hear and such but always have said that no matter what Matt and co. decide to play, the show will be great. That's a given. The fact is, this thread was made for the purpose of open discussion, good or bad and YOU have the choice to read it or move on to another thread. This is a Matthew Good forum, filled with the biggest Matthew Good fans, most who have been there through everything.

These people pay good money for your albums and your tours, some travel to numerous places to see the show. Gas is expensive as well. If the REAL fans (not the ones who show up and scream throughout your shows, as talked about... or shout "rico" over and over) want to comment on how'd they'd love the show to be longer... isn't that a compliment anyways? I'd love to hear Man of Action, Near Fantastica, Suburbia, Odette and such and i'll continue to express those feelings throughout... but I also enjoy whatever is played for me anytime i have been to see one of my absolute FAVOURITE artists ever. Always will.

Saying that... i wonder why "on nights like tonight" hasn't been done yet...?

Edited by here is no why

Well, I envy those of you who have seen enough MG/MGB shows to compare and contrast, but FINALLY I'm making the trip across the Ocean to catch two of his shows [London and Parry Sound].

Having looked at the playlists posted to date [and thanks for posting them, btw, it's much appreciated], I can't contain my excitement. I just know that whatever songs are played, and however many are played, it's going to be a fantastic experience.

Thanks for the reviews guys, it's adding to my anticipation ;)

Edited by oneeighty

No one's ever going to completely agree with any setlist really. There's always going to be at least one song you wish he would have played and and probably one or more that you would have replaced with another. I think those of us on here just want variety from previous tours because most on here have seen him numerous times. We are deffinitely complaining about what I'm sure has been (and will be) incredible shows. I think Matt gets it that we on here want to hear some different stuff, but instead of it sounding like we have some requests, we are making it sound like we're not happy with his performances. And he's right - it is getting tired.

I may have some personal requests for when he comes Hamilton, but I'm just pumped to see whatever he plays. The new stuff is sooo good live from what I've seen, and really just that is good enough for me. Seeing him play anything is an amazing experience.

/\

Yep.

I'm not complaining that I get to see my favourite artist play so close to my new home, I'm just happy to see him live again. And as mentioned before by oneeighty, I'm preeetty jealous of the folks who have been around for a while and have seen Tripoli, Near Fantastica, Girl in the War and all the other gems from years ago. So I'll continue to go to Matt's shows and hope to hear some of my personal faves, but revel in the fact that I'm hearing new material as well for the first time. And I'll enjoy every minute of it, including telling those frat-boy Rico lovers* to shove it, ***holes that they are.

*Disclaimer: I'm not hating on the Rico lovers here, just the 2 frat boys behind me at the last show in Halifax.

There's no need for that kind of attitude here, man.

Clearly he was saying he doesn't get why the song is so popular here, not what it is about. I could write a song about poverty and it could suck, and I wouldn't expect someone to like it.

Don't go crazy over someone not liking a song. And who is to say that he doesn't agree with you, politically? You don't know, so don't read into it too much. I don't know what situation you are in, but control your anger.

I completey agree with reveling in the new stuff we get to hear now. When I saw Matt during the tour of AOB I was hoping to hear most of Beautiful Midnight. Now I wish I could hear the stuff that he played from AOB. A couple years from now we will be wishing he would play songs from this album that we may never hear live again after this tour. We should appreciate what we have while it's here.

Since everyone is responding to Matt, I will too, I guess.

I will enjoy whatever you play. Of course we all have wishlists, and I don't think you'd hold that against us. But people here can be mean about it, as I think people can be everywhere.

Just play and enjoy yourself, and we will enjoy the show!

I completey agree with reveling in the new stuff we get to hear now. When I saw Matt during the tour of AOB I was hoping to hear most of Beautiful Midnight. Now I wish I could hear the stuff that he played from AOB. A couple years from now we will be wishing he would play songs from this album that we may never hear live again after this tour. We should appreciate what we have while it's here.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Although I'd kill to see Man of Action

I think most people here understand that Matt is just going to play what he wants or is able to. I don't think things posted on here are intended to be addressed towards Matt or taken as requests.

Anyway, I'm excited to hear the songs off Vancouver tonight. And I've only seen Matt live once before, so I'm still stoked to hear any song live!

I have a feeling that tonight's show in Vancouver will be almost identical to last night. Apparently CBC was filming then, and will be filming again tonight. It stands to reason that if there are two performances of each song to choose from, the resulting video compiled from both shows will be the best possible combination.

Then again, I could be completely out to lunch. I guess we'll see in a few hours. So stoked, no matter what he plays!

Cheers!

PS. That's probably part of the reason for the idiots yelling last night too. 2 seconds of fame immortalized in a CBC recording somewhere is the best they're ever gonna do.