Crusader

New Demos Going Up (Chaotic Neutral)

I am floored with this album very impressive.  I've listened to all the demos countless times but that did not ruin any enjoyment from the finished album.  

- the acoustics of this album are amazing, sounds so full and rich, clear vocals (Matt sounds great), the instrumentation is fantastic

- listen to this album with high quality headphones - you'll thank me later (army of lions, cold water, los alamos, cloudbusting)

- cold water might just be one of the best songs Matt has done

- I love cloudbusting and especially the ending at 3:25 gave me chills

Guest Idioteque

If you listen to the demo of Moment & the studio version of Moment, the acoustic guitar is so much fuller I love it.

I'm very excited to see Matt translate most of these songs into acoustic, like All You Sons & Daughters performed on that morning show a few days ago.

I'm going to go back & relisten to Cold Water due to the amount of people saying it's one of the best, I think it just caught me by surprise how slow & plain (not a bad thing) it sounded after hearing the first half of the album which is full of loud/in your face songs.

In my defence though I was half asleep when I first listened to it lol. 

If you listen to the demo of Moment & the studio version of Moment, the acoustic guitar is so much fuller I love it.

I'm very excited to see Matt translate most of these songs into acoustic, like All You Sons & Daughters performed on that morning show a few days ago.

I'm going to go back & relisten to Cold Water due to the amount of people saying it's one of the best, I think it just caught me by surprise how slow & plain (not a bad thing) it sounded after hearing the first half of the album which is full of loud/in your face songs.

In my defence though I was half asleep when I first listened to it lol. 

IMO Cold Water is fantastic, it reminds me somewhat of Peter Gabriel (as do several other tracks on this album actually), very impressive.

If I had to give an initial rank of songs, it would probably be something like:

Top tier:

Kid Down the Well

Harridan

Army of Lions 

Tiger by the Tail

Mid tier:

Cloudbusting

Cold Water (would have been higher with more demo-ey sound)

Los Alamos (would have been higher with more demo-ey sound)

Bottom tier:

All You Sons and Daughters

Girls in Black (I love love the bridge though)

No Liars

Moment

This doesn't mean I don't like the songs at the bottom, just that they do as much for me as the top ones. I probably won't listen to them that much. Was never a big fan of Moment for some reason, and the 3 "rockers" on the CD don't stand out to me (No Liars and Girls in Black kind of remind me of Fought to Fight It from Vancouver, in that they are more up-tempo and are rock songs...but are just missing something unique to hook me). It's just personal taste though, there's always going to be songs that someone doesn't like. But overall the album is great with a lot of really strong songs, and really great production.

As to the question of why I would rate a demo higher than the studio version, it's because of emotion. Los Alamos and Cold Water seemed much more emotional in the demos. Another great example of low-quality tracks being amazing just on their emotional value would be Whispering in the Dark or Dancing Invisible. I also preferred the ambient sounds for Cold Water in the demo more, compared to the newer guitar stuff added into the studio version. 

I'm not trying to sound negative though, just explaining why I preferred the demo over the final version.

Edited by RileyLewis

After listening to the album, my favs are Harridan, Girls in Black, Army of Lions, and Los Alamos.  Think all four of those are excellent songs.  The album as a whole doesn't blow me away.  Maybe I need to listen to it more.  I remember feeling the same about LOES but it grew on me.  Anyways, I love hearing any new MG music!

I don't know how you can say it lost something in the studio when the quality is better. You guys gotta maybe spin the demos less in anticipation of the albums.

I think it makes perfect sense. You don't think rehearsing and performing take after take of the same thing over and over again can take a little something off the finished product? Add something here, do something there, before you know it you've got something completely polished that failed to capture the original. I'm not questioning Matt or Warne's intentions, but it failed to capture the same spirit of the original for me.

Lots of people prefer the original version of Can't Get Shot over the studio version. Not me personally, but I can definitely see where people are coming from there.

And if it were up to me, I wish Matt wouldn't release these demos before the record comes out. It ruined Lights for me, and it took a little something away from this one too. Of course I don't have the willpower to not listen to them, so whatever. It's not about enjoying a song, or wanting it to be better. I'd rather not know what's coming at all. It's all about that first listen, and not having anything to compare it to. But after the demos come at you, all that goes out the window. Ah well.

Mid tier:

Los Alamos (would have been higher with more demo-ey sound)

I'm not trying to sound negative though, just explaining why I preferred the demo over the final version.

I wholeheartedly agree. I don't mean any disrespect, but wow, that demo version of Los Alamos is powerful. I never tear up when I hear that demo, but I'm always on the verge of tears. Well, something's going on inside. Magnificent song. I think they added too much stuff to the song, and it clouded its beauty.

That would be a good song to play when you're driving on the highway; it's late at night and stars are out in full force.

Edited by girl

So I pre-ordered the album a while ago which of course came with All You Sons and Daughters, but when I downloaded the rest of the album today that song doesn't show up as part of the whole album - it only appears as a standalone single.  Anyone else have this problem, or is this an iTunes thing on my end?

So I pre-ordered the album a while ago which of course came with All You Sons and Daughters, but when I downloaded the rest of the album today that song doesn't show up as part of the whole album - it only appears as a standalone single. Anyone else have this problem, or is this an iTunes thing on my end?

I had exactly that problem. I've been trying to get iTunes to fix it for me for weeks. What finally worked was when I called (the third time) they had to reset the whole download cue. Also if you're trying to do it from an iPhone (I was) I had to first redownload to my computer and drag it into the music files on my phone.

I spent over an hour on the phone with them and multiple transfers to multiple departments. But hopefully for you, since I already had to, maybe you won't if you just ask them to reset the download cue for the album.

Good luck. It was all very frustrating.

Edited by emmit643

I had exactly that problem. I've been trying to get iTunes to fix it for me for weeks. What finally worked was when I called (the third time) they had to reset the whole download cue. Also if you're trying to do it from an iPhone (was) I had to first redownload to my computer and drag it into the music files on my phone.

I spent over an hour on the phone with them and multiple transfers to multiple departments. But hopefully for you, since I already had to, maybe you won't if you just ask them to reset the download cue for the album.

Good luck. It was all very frustrating.

Ugh...what a gong show.  Thx for the info, I've sent an email to Apple, we'll see what happens.  

For those who pre-ordered off of Maple Music, is the entire album available for download? So far for me it only shows the 4 songs released as a bonus for pre-ordering.

Having the same problem. I pre-ordered the vinyl and was under the impression the album would be available in full for me digitally to download. So far only see those 4 songs.