gursky

2017 Tour: Beautiful Midnight Revisited

I can vouch for London too. It was a great venue. Not really sure about anything else to do while you're there though. It's a bit further, but you can get GA floor for Toronto, 3 nights to choose from, and endless possibilities of other things to do in the great city of Toronto.

If you feel like going even further, Corona Theatre is one of my favourite venues that Matt plays at. This show, in Montreal, is also general admission. Montreal is also an awesome city full of cool things to do.

Emma, after talking with my husband I think we are seriously considering Montreal. His birthday is the 19th so we would come up on Friday with our kiddo and I would be going to the show solo. From your experience is it a huge crowd at this venue? What time would you think I would have to be in line to secure a spot up front?

Emma, after talking with my husband I think we are seriously considering Montreal. His birthday is the 19th so we would come up on Friday with our kiddo and I would be going to the show solo. From your experience is it a huge crowd at this venue? What time would you think I would have to be in line to secure a spot up front?

This venue is a mixed venue, floor standing, and then if people wanna sit there's a balcony area up top (I've literally never seen it because I always go to the front lol). Last time it wasn't too crazy because there were a lot of young girls there for Scott Helman (who also left when he was done). I wanna say, I always come down about 2-ish hours before the show, and go to the starbucks down the street to charge my phone. Then it's a bit of walking around, scoping the line, if there's anyone there I go shoot the shit a bit with them. But tbh I'm usually no more than like 5th maybe 6th in line aha. It's not too too crazy.

Plus, it's gonna be probably still pretty cold in March? Or maybe not? But if it's super cold, I'd say actually try to get there pretty early because you're gonna wanna check your coat.

OR even better. Find me in line. We can stand somewhere together. And then, we can take turns holding our sweet spot at the front, to go check or coats without losing our spot up front. :D  :b:

But you will not regret going to the Montreal show. I LOVE this venue.

Edited by emmit643

He is fantastic. When I went to see OLP this past fall, I spent most of my time staring at him. Amazing performer! At one of the Massey Hall MG shows I went to during the Nothing to Hide Tour, Duncan was on the soundboard and Matt did a little shout out to him part way through. He was recording it for a possible (?) live release ...I wonder what ever happened to that recording, because that show was epic. 

Yes, I remember them saying this at TURF as well.

If you are looking for the Massey Hall show from that tour I would check your stockings in the 12 days of Goodness over in the upload thread this week ;)

• Upvote 2

This venue is a mixed venue, floor standing, and then if people wanna sit there's a balcony area up top (I've literally never seen it because I always go to the front lol). Last time it wasn't too crazy because there were a lot of young girls there for Scott Helman (who also left when he was done). I wanna say, I always come down about 2-ish hours before the show, and go to the starbucks down the street to charge my phone. Then it's a bit of walking around, scoping the line, if there's anyone there I go shoot the shit a bit with them. But tbh I'm usually no more than like 5th maybe 6th in line aha. It's not too too crazy.

Plus, it's gonna be probably still pretty cold in March? Or maybe not? But if it's super cold, I'd say actually try to get there pretty early because you're gonna wanna check your coat.

OR even better. Find me in line. We can stand somewhere together. And then, we can take turns holding our sweet spot at the front, to go check or coats without losing our spot up front. :D :b:

But you will not regret going to the Montreal show. I LOVE this venue.

Thanks for the tips! Yes I dealt with those same Scott Helman fans last tour, they all took off right after or even during his set. You'll definitely be seeing me in line :)

• Upvote 1

He is fantastic. When I went to see OLP this past fall, I spent most of my time staring at him. Amazing performer! At one of the Massey Hall MG shows I went to during the Nothing to Hide Tour, Duncan was on the soundboard and Matt did a little shout out to him part way through. He was recording it for a possible (?) live release ...I wonder what ever happened to that recording, because that show was epic.

Three of the songs from Duncan's recording were released on iTunes.  Two of them are the two Live Acoustic bonus tracks on Vancouver.  The third was a pre-order bonus on that album ("99%").

At the time, MG said there was an issue with the union rules about Massey Hall (something that I assume would have been cleared in advance of the recording of the 2008 live album) that made a full release difficult.  I'm not sure he was that fond of the performance on the whole, either - though I think a lack of a full release of the show was more about logistics and timing than anything else.

Edited by uglyredhonda

Uhhh, I don't know about MuchMusic VJ Bill Welychka. I don't admire his work. He did a cringe-worthy interview with Gord Downie on MuchMoreMusic special, circa 2002. I can even post the youtube interview, if you want.

I put my vote for George Stroumboulopoulos, or better yet Peter Mansbridge. Peter did a great interview on The National with Gord Downie recently.

Haha great idea. I liked Bill. My brother and I actually had an awkward interview with him. Lol. We met him in the washroom in TO and I dunkenly and innocently asked him what he was doing now ( I hadnt seen him interview anyone for a while at the time)

and he was kind of offended saying he was doing production instead - didn't come across as too nice but then again he was accosted (to his mind) in a washroom...

This was posted in another thread but I agree the jersey looks great.  I would honestly by 2 of them if Matt offered them as like a home and away style with one white/black and the other the one pictured.  Very cool idea by Matt to put this out.

Hey, did anyone find out who is playing bass on this tour?

Keys? Just Blake and Stu confirmed so far correct?

yeah. only Stu and Blake confirmed so far.

But rehearsal's starting. So I'm sure we're gonna catch a glimpse sooner or later, on somebody's instagram or something.

If you check out Matt's latest Instagram photo, you'll see Beautiful Midnight in a list along with what guitar (if applicable) will be used for the song on the upcoming tour. You'll notice that I Miss New Wave and Born To Kill are both listed as acoustic.

I think this kinda supports the notion that the "Revisited" versions of those 5 songs will be played...except maybe Load Me Up (that is listed as "SG"). This had been debated either earlier in this thread or in another thread.

Just thought I'd point this out.

Edited by Gomo

I thought about that too Gomo but I dont believe it does. For one I would assume Matt would use an acoustic on new wave regardless of what version and the SG on Load Me Up leans towards original. Born to Kill is the only one that an acoustic would be an obvious departure from the BM album version. Also no guitar on Suburbia makes me think its more likely to be the original, but its not definitive. Matt commented again saying he was playing Beautiful Midnight front to back. Technically those new versions are not on beautiful midnight. So based on what Matt is saying im thinking he intends to play that album as was in 1999. I wish he would make it a little clearer on if that is the plan or if the bm revisited versions will get aired.

On a side note. What is with all these fans on his social media requesting BM songs to be played in their city. Do they not understand the concept at all? Every show will hear every song on that album! I cant wait till those same people still dont understand the night of the show and stand there shouting requests for non beautiful midnight songs in the middle of the main set. Im going to 11 shows. I volunteer to stand up to the Mic and give everyone a disclaimer cause clearly too many haven't figured it out yet despite Matt's very clear posts pointing out his intentions on several occasions haha

Edited by adam_777

On a side note. What is with all these fans on his social media requesting BM songs to be played in their city. Do they not understand the concept at all? Every show will hear every song on that album!

haha. Matt seems to be confused by this on his social media too.

Maybe Gomo is right. I read in two articles that Matt likes the new version of Born To Kill better.

It sounds like we won't be hearing the original version.

At least I will have always have great memories of hearing the original version in 2001. I can make new memories of the new version on this tour.

The EP features a haunting I Miss New Wave; an amped up Suburbia; a version of Born To Kill that Good calls “vastly better” than the original (“I think that just comes with maturity”); a forceful, angry Let’s Get It On; and a way-slowed-down, moody and contemplative Load Me Up.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/music/matthew-good-revisits-the-past-on-new-ep/article32822561/

Good especially likes the new version of "Born to Kill," which he thinks is better than the original.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/matthew-good-revisits-beautiful-midnight-with-new-ep-tour-1.3165492

sidenote:  I didn't know Seventeen magazine interviewed Matt long time ago in Manhattan, and the reporters walked out of the interview. That's a first! I would think it would be the other way around. I used to read that magazine when I was young. Interesting.

Edited by girl

haha. Matt seems to be confused by this on his social media too.

Maybe Gomo is right. I read in two articles that Matt likes the new version of Born To Kill better.

It sounds like we won't be hearing the original version.

At least I will have always have great memories of hearing the original version in 2001. I can make new memories of the new version on this tour.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/music/matthew-good-revisits-the-past-on-new-ep/article32822561/

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/matthew-good-revisits-beautiful-midnight-with-new-ep-tour-1.3165492

sidenote: I didn't know Seventeen magazine interviewed Matt long time ago in Manhattan, and the reporters walked out of the interview. That's a first! I would think it would be the other way around. I used to read that magazine when I was young. Interesting.

Wow. I didn't know Seventeen interviewed Matt either. I mean I guess there were a few young crowd things like Much's "my date with" and "gonna meet a rockstar" etc. So it makes sense that they would've tried? But I had no clue.

If my memory serves me well, it's Matt that walked out of the Seventeen Magazine interview. It was when BM came out in the states and Matt had the "you are our bitch" experience with the media over there. They had to roll over on command and the likes otherwise the media would go back and complain to the record company who would then turn to the band. To be honest, I never understood how Seventeen Magazine was in any way relevant with MGB. They're weren't N'Sync...

Anyhow, I do recall Matt talking about Born To Kill on a bootleg from 2011. He was joking about the songs he could remember and he said "Born to kill, all seven and a half fucking minutes of down dirt...[inaudible]". You could already understand he didn't particularly like it :P