MatthewGoodFan101

2019 Solo Acoustic Tour

Really cool to see that Matt is pulling from a pretty extensive list for these setlists according to him this is just a portion of the list he labelled as songs he already can do.  he also has two other lists of covers and other older songs he plans to rework.  judging by that we may be in for some of the most unique and varied setlists we've ever seen on a tour! This definitely ramped my excitement way up, especially since he is already thinking and working on this and the tour is still three months away!

Still no Sault Ste Marie show.  Arg.  Well my In-laws live in Chatham-Kent so I guess London is my only shot.  North Bay is too far to drive for one show. At least if I see him in London I can make it a trip to see the In-laws.  I think I do want to see this tour and treat myself for once.  I don't really get out any more unless I'm volunteering or going grocery shopping since I do shift work.  This would be a nice Treat.

On 10/12/2018 at 10:39 AM, hoogie said:

Quite the change in your list of shows from tours past....

A church would be a fantastic setting for a show.  Sounds cool.

Right?!? Well, I got my early xmas gift of VIP for Kingston! So I probably will go ahead and buy myself a Montreal ticket; old habits die hard haha.

• Like 1

They announced the opener for the tour yesterday as Poesy.  Here's a link to her stuff:

https://poesy.lnk.to/strangelittlegirl

Haven't heard of her, but I'll check it out.  I have a pretty good track record with liking Matt's openers.

Does anyone remember if Kathleen Edwards ever opened for him?  I think I'm mixing it up with when I saw the Hip.

Does anyone have extra tickets for the Edmonton, Strarlight Room show (March 20).  I'm looking to buy 2 tickets.  Normally I am all over tickets but I was asleep at the wheel this year.

The Startlight Room is an unreal venue.  This show is going to be insane!!

Edited by patrickjnixon

So we are two days from the start of the tour in Sidney.  Who's excited? what're some songs you are hoping to hear?  Who is going to which shows? 

Once again I'm very fortunate to get to see several shows on this tour including the opener in Sidney.  As I did last tour I have plans to record most of the shows I go to, so for those of you who like those recordings, or those unable to attend shows or hear any potential rarities I'll definitely do my part. 

I gotta admit hearing Matt working on Fearless the other day got me so excited for this tour and I think there will be a few really rare surprises, as well as perhaps a couple live debuts, and who knows what he has planned for cover songs.  One of the amazing things of the Beautiful Midnight tour was that it was Beautiful Midnight every night, but at the same time it also meant setlists that changed very very little.  The flexibility in sets that Matt has always exhibited on acoustic shows in the past makes me think each night of this tour will be pretty unique and a real treat for those able to attend multiple shows.  

Hope everyone going out has a great time! 

5 hours ago, adam_777 said:

I gotta admit hearing Matt working on Fearless the other day got me so excited for this tour and I think there will be a few really rare surprises, as well as perhaps a couple live debuts, and who knows what he has planned for cover songs.  One of the amazing things of the Beautiful Midnight tour was that it was Beautiful Midnight every night, but at the same time it also meant setlists that changed very very little.  The flexibility in sets that Matt has always exhibited on acoustic shows in the past makes me think each night of this tour will be pretty unique and a real treat for those able to attend multiple shows.  

As much as I'd love to hear a full band rendition of the original, since to me it's one of his greatest songs, hearing the reworked acoustic version he's working on sounds really cool too. It almost has that empty acoustic Hello Time Bomb feel to it, which seems almost appropriate for the song all things considered. Really hope he figures out the full thing and we all get to hear it.

Also he is apparently working on Change of Season to add in as the tour goes on, which if he does play it will be the first time in over twenty years I believe, so pretty cool to see some of the ideas hes kicking around for this tour.  

Should also mention that I bought a ticket for my friend to attend the final stop on the tour in Vancouver and like he did on the BM tour he will record and film the entire concert.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, adam_777 said:

Also he is apparently working on Change of Season to add in as the tour goes on, which if he does play it will be the first time in over twenty years I believe, so pretty cool to see some of the ideas hes kicking around for this tour.  

Should also mention that I bought a ticket for my friend to attend the final stop on the tour in Vancouver and like he did on the BM tour he will record and film the entire concert.  

Awesome Adam, glad you'll be able to document some of this tour. 

I am also excited to hear some stuff not heard in years.  In addition to Change of Season, I remember Out of Style was mentioned by Matt for the BC show in 2017 and never happened.  Maybe now we'll get that.  Gonna be a good bang for your buck this run of shows.

Edited by Stwlegend

I’ve been lucky enough to see Matt several times (8, twice acoustically), but I am definitely a bit jealous of those attending, it sounds like it will be pretty special. Fearless and change of season? Crazy. Omissions of the omen and the Inescapable Us would be up there for me as well. I guess I will settle for some live recordings of whatever we are lucky enough to get ;)

On 1/30/2019 at 3:47 PM, folk singer said:

I’ve been lucky enough to see Matt several times (8, twice acoustically), but I am definitely a bit jealous of those attending, it sounds like it will be pretty special. Fearless and change of season? Crazy. Omissions of the omen and the Inescapable Us would be up there for me as well. I guess I will settle for some live recordings of whatever we are lucky enough to get ?

I love "The Inescapable Us", that would be awesome. I use the intro as my cellphone notification sound.

Edited by Sly Botts

I just got back from the Sidney show.  I'm not going to go on in a lot of detail, I'm not really sure what to say.  Amazing.  I've been waiting over 10 years to see Matt play acoustically and it was even better than I expected.  I've seen him with the band 7 times before this, not to take anything away from the band, but this is definitely my favourite show I've seen.  There was tons of between-song banter (between all the songs), lots of hilarious moments.  Matt's show was about 2 hours 10 minutes.  It felt like a very personal performance, the venue only has 8 rows of seats.  Amazing, I don't know what else to say.

I'll take my best stab at the setlist.  The beginning and the encore will be correct, the rest will be completely out of order, and there may be some I forget:

Fearless
Sort of a Protest Song
Prime Time Deliverance
Born Losers
*Unknown New Song*
While We Were Hunting Rabbits
Tripoli
Fated
The Fine Art of Falling Apart
Alert Status Red
Load Me Up
Los Alamos
Apparitions

Strange Days
Men At The Door
99% of Us is Failure

I don't think I forgot any, but I may have, I quickly scrolled through the album tracklists to try to remember all that was played.  Like I said, order is way wrong in the middle.

The new song was awesome, not sure if it was ever posted as a demo.  The most memorable lyrics were "Once you break it you've bought it, and once you've bought it, it's breakable" (hope I got that right).  Oh, some other interesting information we got about the next album:
- The working title of the album is currently "Moving Walls", it sounded like that's what Matt wants to call it
- There are 16 songs, only 1 has electric guitar
- It will be recorded in studio after this tour

I still have the Campbell River and Victoria shows to go.

Edited by Curtster
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Setlist looks about right off the top of my head.  To echo your sentiments ya it was pretty amazing and I have seen Matt acoustic before.  Just the interaction, honesty and interesting story telling in his approach is truly something that makes these shows unique.  You can genuinely tell that he enjoys this kind of show, and that the smaller venues really provide a perfect platform for it.  Unlike many shows I've seen the crowd was very respectful, with it being that intimate its very easy to just degenerate into request night, and I heard few if any song requests.  Most shouts from the audience were in response to things Matt was saying and started as close to a dialogue between performer and crowd as you can ever imagine having.  

Matt was told he was running long at one point and just decided to keep playing, which was pretty cool.  You are bang on that the show last 2 hours and ten minutes.  I recorded it, and will have it up here over the weekend.  Matts voice sounded really great, and the newly arranged songs worked quite well to fit his current vocal range.  Cant say there was anything I didnt like about this show, can't wait to see more! 

The posted setlist has the new song listed as « Radicals ».

man. I’m so excited. I love Matt full band- but nothing compares to solo acoustic. And it’s been so long since I’ve gotten to be at a solo acoustic show!

so, my list was modest before. Since then I have added both Toronto and Montreal lol. I will be at Ottawa, Kingston/VIP, Toronto Wednesday show, and Montreal/VIP. I toyed with adding the second Toronto show but it makes my travel timeline for Montreal VIP a little too tight. But who knows, I’m a whimsical person. Maybe I’ll make a last second decision to switch it around and go. 

I’m really glad to see Men at the Door on the list. I know older songs carry a lot more attachment for most, but that one acoustic really stuck with me. I love it. I got to see him do it at that Facebook Live thing in Toronto when he did the q&a with Raine; it’s haunting. 

Guest Rhu8ar8Pi3
19 hours ago, Jessafur said:

Are any of you guys doing VIP? What sort of questions do you think you'll be asking Matt? 

I'm going to 4 VIP. I don't have any questions. 

On 1/30/2019 at 6:38 AM, adam_777 said:

*unlurks*
I have been asking him for Change of Season for 19 years.   If it happens at any of my shows, I promise you will see a redhead leaving on a gurney, dead of joy (or slumped in her seat, barely alive).  I think the last time I asked him, I even suggested reworking it as an acoustic guitar song. 

Just looking at the first two sets (or rather, what we know of night 2 - assuming the setlist.fm was updated by someone who put up what they knew/remembered), there's a LOT of songs I remember people asking about on Instagram months ago.  This very much feels like a 'gift to fans' tour and it's incredible. 

I already have 6 shows bought, but I may have to go ahead and add a couple more now.

Matt specifically mentioned playing Fated at the first night because it was a song requested by a lot of people.  So I do think he does pay attention to that kind of thing.  Back in 2014 he did a couple random acoustic shows in Vancouver and Calgary.  Prior to the shows I messaged him to ask if he had ever considered tackling an acoustic version of A Boy and His Machine Gun and then he randomly played that song for the the two shows on that tour.  The first time he'd played that song in 14 years, and the only two times he ever played it acoustically, so while it may have been coincidence I cant help but think he read my message and thought what the hell I'll give it a shot.  So I do think he sometimes does take suggestions and see if he can work out how to do a song or insert it in the setlist.  

Earlier in the year Matt posted a list of songs he was potentially going to play saying it was a list of songs he already had down.  He mentioned there were two other lists of things to potentially work on and covers. So I was surprised on night one to not have a cover, but I see on night two he played Simon and Garfunkel's "The Only Living Boy In New York" 

It would be interesting to see what the rest of the set was on night two.  

4 hours ago, foats said:

did something happen at the show last night? Setlist.fm shows 7 songs including encore.  Seems extremely short. Did Matt cut out to go see Kiss?  Just kidding of course

Just asked someone on FB who attended.  The venue had a 10pm curfew Matt was unaware of until day of, and with the amount of banter between songs, that is all he could play before they shooed him off stage.   The hazards of playing smaller places/venues not used to rock shows.  Hopefully this has made him start checking the rest of the shows on the tour for potential early curfews!

EDIT:  Now being told the list is missing Fearless, Los Alamos, Radicals, Fated, Apparitions Prime Time Deliverance and Silent Army in the Trees,  But yeah, it was a shorter one.

Edited by likeadeadstar
new info

43 minutes ago, likeadeadstar said:

Just asked someone on FB who attended.  The venue had a 10pm curfew Matt was unaware of until day of, and with the amount of banter between songs, that is all he could play before they shooed him off stage.   The hazards of playing smaller places/venues not used to rock shows.  Hopefully this has made him start checking the rest of the shows on the tour for potential early curfews!

EDIT:  Now being told the list is missing Fearless, Los Alamos, Radicals, Fated, Apparitions Prime Time Deliverance and Silent Army in the Trees,  But yeah, it was a shorter one.

Ya I was going to say he at least played Fearless because I saw a brief video clip of it.  Cool to hear silent army was played.  One of the things I thought was really cool about the setlist on night one was how it really spanned his whole career.  Songs were played from every MGB album, and two of the three EP`s and then his first three solo albums and his two most recent.  But in the middle was the three album run from Vancouver through Arrows that really has gotten almost nothing played from since those tours ended, so great to see something from Vancouver get played.  

Really liked Radicals and nice to see it included again.  It`ll be interesting to see if Matt plays more new material as the tour progresses.  Presumably the new album has 16 tracks and a lot of it could potentially be adapted acoustically and he definitely knows the songs well as he just finished demoing them and is about to record them when this tour is over so it definitely gives him a few unheard songs he could probably pull out of the bag at any point.  

Edited by adam_777

Guest Rhu8ar8Pi3

Does anyone have any burning questions that they've been dying to ask Matt? Maybe I can help you out at the VIP soundchecks. I can take a maximum of four questions.

I'll do my best, but I can't promise anything.