here is no why

Official Tour Setlist/review Thread 2009/2010

It was a great show... really enjoyed myself, with the exception of the two intoxicated girls in front of me who kept taking goofy pictures of themselves with their cell phones and jumping up and down with their hands in the air the whole night... FYI if you plan on bringing a DSLR, I suggest not... I got a few pics in, then got told that if you have a removable lens, considered a pro camera and they are banned. They wanted to take away my camera and check it (which I was really reluctant to do so we agreed I'd keep it just not use it). I was closely watched for the rest of the night... they were even patrolling at times through the encore....

Hey,

My first proper MG show tonight, nice way to finish off my exams (FINALLY FINISHED yesterday!). Anyways, I don't have the tickets in hand, I'm picking them up at will call tonight, can anybody help me out and tell me what time the shows (ie Mother Mother) have been starting.

Hey,

My first proper MG show tonight, nice way to finish off my exams (FINALLY FINISHED yesterday!). Anyways, I don't have the tickets in hand, I'm picking them up at will call tonight, can anybody help me out and tell me what time the shows (ie Mother Mother) have been starting.

mother mother will go on at 8, matt will go on at 9. massey hall is usually exactly on time with these things. have fun!

Awesome show. My girlfriend and I sat next to uglyredhonda, really nice guy.

Some comments:

Last Parade is in dire need of some keyboards.

Empty's is indeed MUCH better live.

Great show as always, crowd was pretty good aside from some obnoxious cunt sitting in the back right of the lower floor who I had to tell to shut the fuck up twice.

It was a great show... really enjoyed myself, with the exception of the two intoxicated girls in front of me who kept taking goofy pictures of themselves with their cell phones and jumping up and down with their hands in the air the whole night... FYI if you plan on bringing a DSLR, I suggest not... I got a few pics in, then got told that if you have a removable lens, considered a pro camera and they are banned. They wanted to take away my camera and check it (which I was really reluctant to do so we agreed I'd keep it just not use it). I was closely watched for the rest of the night... they were even patrolling at times through the encore....

that's usually pretty standard pretty much everywhere.

Empty's is good. It sounds like Creed's "My Own Prison" though. It's killer when Stu kicks in at the end with the guitar solo from the actual album version.

So yeah, great show tonight. I was really surprised how tight the band has gotten since I last saw them at Massey. If you remember any of my negative comments from before, forget them because I was totally blown away. Something you have to hear live to really enjoy g- the youtube videos don't do this tour justice.

I was a little surprised with the lack of diversity in the setlist, still. Aside from fake empire, I had a feeling there would be more surprises since these are the last two shows of the tour, but whatever. I wasn't disappointed in the least.

The crowd was great, much more into it than the other massey show. Took a little while for everyone to get standing but once they were nobody sat back down. Banter was very funny. Asking Stu if he would "give it up" right here on stage if it meant he could be a canadian rock legend. Good stuff.

OH ALSO: I saw Mother Mother at the Kool Haus this year for the CASBYS and wasn't entirely impressed, but after seeing them at a proper venue with good sound, holy fuck these guys are good. If you are going tonight, do not miss them.

I'll be there tonight as well. 2nd row on the far left floors on the very right of the aisle. If you see me don't hesitate to say hello!

Really? The album version is just so good, i have to disagree. But everyone is going to like one over the other because they are such completely different versions of the song.

I love both versions. Right now I'm on the live version kick because it's fresh. I've had the Empty's demo for over a year. I was re-energized by the song when I heard the second demo, and now again by the live. The live and album versions are totally different, but I appreciate them both the same:)

I'm not a big fan of the national at all, but I do like that song quite a bit. I like to see him covering songs though it's cool to hear what he likes enough to learn to play. I'm hopeful he plays it in the states!

Anyone have an recording of him playing this one?

He played it again tonight - slightly more of it this time. I caught that song both nights on my digital camera - I'll try and upload one or both after I get home.

Tonight was solid, though I think last night's setlist was better (maybe just my personal taste). The encores were Champions > Odette > Empty's, which, honestly, is an amazing trio, but a bit tough back-to-back-to-back. To his credit, he mixed up the setlists a bit between both nights (again, I'll let someone else post the real thing). But tonight felt both a bit more of a greatest hits set and a more of a slow/mid-tempo set. Nothing particularly special set-wise to mark the end of the tour (ie, no extra songs) - though it was fun to see Mother Mother come out and prank the band with sweepers and towels during "Weapon". (I got there late tonight, right as Matt came out during Mother Mother's set - I think they pranked Mother Mother and/or Stu during their set, but I'm not sure. If that's confusing - Stu played one song with Mother Mother.)

For the slowness, though - I think it created my favorite moment of both nights. About 2/3rds of the way through Champions, everyone went silent and was just standing there watching Matt. I turned around and just watched the faces. Such a great moment.

Hah I'm 5th row as well, seat 42 which is right of the stage by the aisle.
hahaha me and my friend are seats 43 and 44

Agh, are you guys serious? I wish I'd seen this earlier - I was literally sitting behind you all - 6th row, seat 44. (Which, oddly enough, was Computer's seat last night.) I hope I wasn't singing too loudly. :angry:

Computer - it was great meeting you and your girlfriend last night. I think if you had to pick one show or the other, last night was the one.

And it's cool to see that some of the folks around here are actual people and not just MG-topic-posting automatons. (I can't yet vouch for all of them. ;))

Edited by uglyredhonda

that's usually pretty standard pretty much everywhere.

Which part.. the intoxicated girls or the camera policy ? ;)

I generally expect the camera issue, although of late at the NAC, they have been more forgiving. They certainly relaxed it for the MG show, and before that lots of professional looking cameras at the The Hip which the staff turned a blind eye to (unfortunately I didn't bring it to that one .. granted I was in the rafters so it probably wouldn't have mattered anyway for the lenses I have).

Just got home from Massey. The setlist was WAY too similar to the live album for my tastes, but the encore redeemed everything. Champions, Odette, and then Empty's. Friggin amazing. Volcanoes also sounded good, and I noticed Matt gave a lot of "push" in a lot of places. He was really giving it his all tonight, and it was awesome to hear.

okay, merry christmas everyone. last set list for this round.

toronto, december 19

silent army in the trees

the boy who could explode

hello time bomb

great whales of the sea

volcanoes

(long banter and a stuffed animal that was NOT a jaguar)

born losers

i'm a window

last parade

load me up (without love will tear us apart - matt made a big cutting gesture at blake right when they would have gone into it)

alert status red

weapon

apparitions

encore:

champions of nothing

odette

empty's theme park

fake empire (by the national)

i've never managed to catch alert status red live, so that was a nice treat. it was a saturday night crowd - much rowdier/drunker than last night. i was lucky that there was an empty seat beside me so i could move over - dude beside me was wasted and singing louder than matt. still a great show, but last night was definitely more...magical? anyway, glad i heard all of vancouver except fought to fight it - sad, but a girl can't ask for the world, right?

ugly red honda - i almost bought seat 44 in the row behind you tonight but i opted for the drunken peanut gallery instead.