here is no why

Official Tour Setlist/review Thread 2009/2010

he played X-Rated in 2002... and i would love to hear it when i'm going.

To this, I also have an Edmonton October 2005 recording with "The Future Is X-Rated"; so it's been played recently but not since a few tours back and definitely not with the current band. All the same, a very cool surprise and I'm glad the Eastern shows are treated to some surprises like this.

Ok, changed the shirts a bit so they look more true to the original. I think the saying may be a little more true than it was yesterday lol.

mgnavy.pngmgblue.png

The black one and other shirts (like No Rico) are available in the shirt store.

@Anton, hahah, that is a great picture. I was just looking around for one of those pics to compare and it looks pretty close, nice job! Do all of the proceeds go to NF?

Yes, all proceeds go to the hosting bills for NF.

I'm guessing the lightest blue shirt is the one based on the original? ..Or maybe the darker blue one??

The lighter blue is more similar to the original.

Several pages back on this thread, johnny did an analysis showing that 29 songs had been played so far on the tour (after 14 shows, I think it was), and they were apparently working with a pool of around 42 rehearsed songs, leaving 13 left to play. Since then we've seen a couple new ones added to the list, but not really that many.

Well, now we're 22 shows down, 12 to go. I think that means we're going to see a few more surprises soon. Just sayin'...

Several pages back on this thread, johnny did an analysis showing that 29 songs had been played so far on the tour (after 14 shows, I think it was), and they were apparently working with a pool of around 42 rehearsed songs, leaving 13 left to play. Since then we've seen a couple new ones added to the list, but not really that many.

Well, now we're 22 shows down, 12 to go. I think that means we're going to see a few more surprises soon. Just sayin'...

I think there are still a number of Hospital Music tracks that haven't showed up this tour... She's In It For the Money, 99%, Devil's in Your Details... well I guess those are the only ones that I haven't seen on a setlist yet that were routine on the last tour. Put Out Your Lights was also played at almost every show last tour, and I don't think has been played yet. Might see another suprise or two along the way, but a lot of the other ones could possibly ones that they weren't that happy with, just my guess.

It's definitely cool to see how the varied the setlists have been this tour, now the band knows a lot more material.

Actually I think 99% was done in Red Deer... I don't remember the set list all that well but there was LMU, HTB and Apparitions. Off of Vancouver there was Last Parade, The Boy Who Could Explode, Great Whales of the Sea, and Empty's Theme Park. And Born Losers. Great Whales I remember well because after he was finished the song he wanted the blue lights on the ceiling because it gave the aquatic feel. He also made mention that there was a projector hanging from the ceiling and that the next time he played Red Deer he'd do a PowerPoint presentation as well.

hahah, i've only had the opportunity to see him once (acoustic), and it was nothing short of awe-inspiring.

looking forward to hearing him with the full band.

i'm curious to see if there will be any set list surprises; interesting to see so long mrs. smith being played.

Did we get a setlist from Quebec city, and I just missed it, or...?

PS. I dunno what it is about the clips from the Kitchener show, but IMHO, performance-wise, that feels like THE show I'd most want a boot of. Besides X-Rated (which was pretty awesome, I'll admit), songs like Great Whales and Volcanoes were precise, emotional, and hard-hitting. (Not that they aren't at every show, but you know...a little moreso than usual)

Edited by umdesch4

I just got back from the show in Moncton! It was pretty good! Unfortunately it seems that bad experiences earlier in the tour with people not enjoying the banter made Matt abstain from talking tonight. He played The future is Xrated here as well. I find it interesting as the last show I saw was acoustic (Saint John 2008) and someone requested it. If I recall correctly Matt said he thought it was the worst song he wrote and only did it to please the record company?

So overall it was still a good show, just hard to match the last one where it was more intimate and acoustic!

Here's the setlist for the Quebec City Show (December 1st):

On Nights Like Tonight

Avalanche

The Boy Who Could Explode

Great Whales of the Sea

Born Losers

Us Remains Impossible

A Silent Army in the Tree

Black Helicopter

The Future is X-Rated

Odette

Weapon

Apparitions

Encore:

Giant

Last Parade

Empty's Theme Park

So a setlist similar to the other ones, except for The Future is X-Rated which Matt played for the second time of the tour (sounded great, maybe a keeper for the second half of the tour).

No LMU or HTB, which is just fine with me.

I founded the On Nights Like Tonight was a good opener.

Great show in general, with a solid Weapon-Apparitions duo to end the main set (6th show in a row with it) and a wonderful finish with Empty's Theme Park, probably the song from the Vancouver Album that I liked the most "live".

I was also very happy to see Avalanche played.

Also, as usual, a little bit of talking from Matt 3 or 4 times during the show.

The other band members were also great tonight, except maybe for the bassist on the first half of the show, which I founded a bit too relaxed (chewing gum, standing still and not looking at the crowd at all).

Finally, I really enjoyed Mother Mother, which I've never heard before. The singer's voice (and some part of the sound) had me compared them to Placebo, one of my favorite band.

See you in Montreal next week (Thursday) !

Just saw a video from Kingston with Stu playing Body of Years with Mother Mother..

..just wondering if anyone has seen this happen at any other shows?? ..or maybe just a one time thing so far??

He also played it in Quebec City.

Hey all... don't post here very much but I've been following this thread so I thought I'd jump in after last night's Moncton show. Here's the set list:

Boy Who Could Explode

Hello Time Bomb

Great Whales

Load Me Up

Born Losers

Us Remains Impossible

Silent Army

Last Parade

Future is X-rated

Single Explosion

Weapon

Apparitions

--------------

Giant

Empty's Theme Park

Everything is Automatic

Very classic-heavy. And no Volcanoes! Sorry to miss that one as it's one of my favourites. BUT, he did do A Single Explosion, which is definitely one of my favourites and one I didn't think I'd get to hear this time around. (Actually, it's the one I singled out as most wanting to hear, so. Yay.)

But, as someone else said, no talking! Show moved ahead at a pretty swift clip and was over fairly early. I have to say, knowing what Matt is like, the lack of talking made me feel like something was off... like he was having a bad night or something. I know, poor guy can't win. Talk too much, some ass tells you to shut the fuck up. Talk too little and some chick thinks something was wrong. It's not a complaint; just a little let down because I do enjoy that aspect of shows, not just with him but with any performer. (And Matt does have a rep of giving good banter. Or rant, as the case may be.)

Band was great, though Milos seemed a little bored, to be honest. I don't remember his demeanour on the last tour... maybe that's just his usual stage look? Heh. Stu and Blake were great to watch... talk about getting into it. Standouts, for me, were Great Whales (surprisingly to me, since I like that song but don't adore it like some of the others), X-rated (so glad he played this), Single Explosion (mainly because he could spoken-word his way through this song and I'd still be happy to hear it... but damn, when the band cuts in... holy, how incredible is that moment?), and Giant (I will never get tired of that song). Empty's Theme Park... I liked the arrangement, but I still prefer the album version. But it was still great... it's one of my favourites from Vancouver (along with Volcanoes).

Oh... and I really need to get a new camera. Was standing RIGHT next to the stage and still didn't end up with a good shot. Grrr.

I so very badly want to go to the show in Halifax tonight, but without having any tickets, transportation or any place to stay in Halifax (or money for any of these things), I guess bootlegs and youtube videos will have to do... ;)

Was this the 1st time Weapon has been played this tour?

Dan,

I'm not sure about other shows, but I know that Weapon was played at both the London and Kingston show, so hopefully he'll keep it up for Toronto ;) Oh yeah, and not that you need re-assurance, but it sounded excellent.

- Corm