here is no why

Official Tour Setlist/review Thread 2009/2010

tried to get it as similar to the original shirt as possible. http://gallery.nearfantastica.com/displayi...um=7&pos=33 (sorry for posting that unflattering picture)

also, anyone who wears one our shirts and posts a picture will get a special prize from me. need some pictures for the front page!

edit: also corm, can we get a trip report from you? i'd love to hear what happened

So we made it to the Kingston show, thanks in no small part to help from many of you on the forums. Thanks a lot for your words of encouragement and advice, it was really appreciated.

Firstly, the show itself was fantastic. We managed to get seats on the main floor, so were just about ten rows from the front. As others alluded to, some of the crowd were sitting for long periods of the show and seemed annoyed that others were up and moving about.

I was really happy with the setlists in both London and Kingston. I know others may have their opinions on this, but having never seen him live before, it really was something special to hear "Avalanche", "Weapon", "Giant", all the singles, and the new material from Vancouver, as well as various other tracks. I thought "The Vancouver National Anthem" sounded excellent at Kingston, while "Empty's Theme Park", "Last Parade", "Great Whales of the Sea", and "The Boy Who Could Explode" should be experienced live by any Matthew Good fan. But in truth, it's impossible to pick a song from either night that stood out above the rest: The performance and setlist was just so solid that to choose one over another wouldn't be fair.

We hung back after the show near to the tour bus. Just as we arrived, a small group of drunken fans tried to circle Matt and were kind of grabbing at him and surrounding him with various messages of support. While their intentions to see their hero were understandable, they conducted themselves in the wrong way I feel. They even kind of stopped him from getting on the bus at first, and, as his website post outlined, the security was far too lax.

About a half hour later after the small group had finally dispersed, I talked to one of the crew. She was really nice, and we'd spoken briefly at the London show. She told me that someone had put a "Welcome to Parry Sound, Cormac" sign on my front row seat, which was quite amazing to hear. Unfortunately, she told me, Matt had actually gone to sleep. But to her absolute credit, she went onto the bus and checked with the man himself to see if he was in the mood to be awoken from his slumber to meet a couple of meek Irish fans [meek in terms of finally getting the chance to meet him].

I don't think it was ever in doubt. For those of you that have been lucky enough to meet Matthew Good, I'm sure you'll concur that it would be difficult to meet a more approachable and appreciative musician. Not only that, he spoke to me and my friend as equals: There was no musician-fan distinction, just a couple of guys talking on a tour bus.

I got on first by myself, mainly due to the fact that my buddy who came with me to Canada was not actually a Matt Good fan prior to the trip, and so in my previous correspondence with Matt [and my posts on this forum], I always thought that we'd be going to Canada together, but I'd be going to the shows alone. He came with me, had the Parry Sound experience and still wanted to make it to Kingston, and when Matt realised that it was him outside, he insisted on inviting him onto the bus too. We had a cigarette together [even though I'm trying to quit, but fuck it, who's gunna turn down having a smoke with Matthew Good?], talked a little, and had our picture taken.

He's a true gentleman. When I got onto the bus at first, it was clear that he'd been fast asleep when the crew member had told him that I was here, but he had gotten up and was all for meeting. We didn't stay too long: I didn't want to outstay my welcome [not that he even remotely made us feel like we were], and I was conscious that I think he had just finished four or five shows on the spin and was probably in need a good rest. But the length of time was irrelevant: Meeting him was the icing on the cake of what was a fantastic trip. Even if I didn't get to meet him, finally getting to see him live twice after all these years of waiting was a fantastic experience. But for him to go out of his way to meet me [he even mailed me after the Parry Sound show to ask if I had actually made the show], really made me realise what a top guy, as well as a top musician, he is. For him to then write an entry about us on his website was simply fantastic and overwhelming.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I'm absolutely sleep deprived, so I apologise for redundancy and lack of coherency. All in all, it was a wonderful trip: We saw two great shows, I met the man whose music has been an integral part of my adolescence, and we even stayed in a shady motel in Mississauga. Nothing like a bit of an adventure.

Thanks again for all your help: I've no doubt that the only reason I made it to the Kingston show was because of your contributions.

- Corm

post-1785-1259627817_thumb.jpg

That is amazing Corm, glad to hear everything went that great! Did you put the bug in his ear to head overseas for a quick tour? ;)

No kidding, Matt is a true gentleman.

@Anton, hahah, that is a great picture. I was just looking around for one of those pics to compare and it looks pretty close, nice job! Do all of the proceeds go to NF?

Edited by johnny

I'm wondering if anyone can answer this for me.

Why does Matt only play through a clean channel? During say, Born Losers or Simple Explosion, it seems fitting obviously to not have his guitar filled with distortion. However, when it came to Weapon and the main riff he plays, it seemed to be on clean and kind of took away from it a little. The same with Giant and LMU and HTB et al. Even the more rockier songs seemed to be through a clean channel. Any reasoning behind this?

Those t-shirts are FANTASTIC. I am totally snatching up one.

Why does Matt only play through a clean channel? During say, Born Losers or Simple Explosion, it seems fitting obviously to not have his guitar filled with distortion. However, when it came to Weapon and the main riff he plays, it seemed to be on clean and kind of took away from it a little. The same with Giant and LMU and HTB et al. Even the more rockier songs seemed to be through a clean channel. Any reasoning behind this?

Probably like aforementioned, the way he wants to play it. Not to mention Vancouver's guitars doesn't have that distorted crunch to it the way his earlier records do, and he probably wanted the same sound.

Dale Mugford took a video of a soundcheck during the HM tour, of Avalanche if I recall correctly, where Matt had mentioned that he forgot to change back to his clean channel from his dirty, and it didn't sound like your typical "dirty" channel. It probably just is the way his equipment is set up and how he wants to play the songs. I wasn't paying much attention to his feet at the shows to see if he was switching channels or adding effects.

here is a better pic of the original shirt until i can get the sticker scanned...

mattgoodsanasshole.jpg

he definitely had some thicker overdrive going in calgary on some songs, others he was likely using a less gainy setting on the sparkle-drive into an ac30 to get a more jangly effect. it actually helps push stu's lead work through the mix and allows for a cleaner mix overall as you have matt and milos doing the high and low registers of rhythm and stu on a delayed or distorted lead.

glad to see you had a good time in canada corm

Edited by finboy

here is a better pic of the original shirt until i can get the sticker scanned...

he definitely had some thicker overdrive going in calgary on some songs, others he was likely using a less gainy setting on the sparkle-drive into an ac30 to get a more jangly effect. it actually helps push stu's lead work through the mix and allows for a cleaner mix overall as you have matt and milos doing the high and low registers of rhythm and stu on a delayed or distorted lead.

glad to see you had a good time in canada corm

Thanks, revising the shirt a bit. Changing it to white text and adding a period. They'll be back up soon!

Also Corm, sounds like a great trip!

may post the sticker on here in case someone wants to make there own, i have a few matt good rarities that i will try to scan once school is out so people can just take the images and get their own shirts made, probably easier that way.

Kitchener Setlist:

So Long Mrs. Smith

On Nights Like Tonight

The Boy Who Could Explode

Load Me Up

Great Whales of the Sea

Volcanoes

The Future is X Rated

rant (Matt told a guy in the crowd to "fuck right off" and leave... more on that later)

Born Losers

Us Remains Impossible

Last Parade

Weapon

Apparitions

Encore:

Silent Army in the Trees

Black Helicopter

Empty's Theme Park

Edited by Pew89

Matt was rambling a bit on stage, as he usually will do, and some guy in about the 10th row yelled "shut the fuck up!"

Matt then said something to the effect of, "Really dude? Shut the fuck up? That's what I love, ballsy people sitting in the crowd. How bout you do yourself a favor, walk out those fucking doors. Then go to the fucking box office and get your money back. If I had my wallet I'd pay you myself"

He left, and Matt later said he apparently did get his money back. I was quite happy when Matt tore the "fan" up.

Other than that the crowd was pretty good. Matt invited a couple guys from Austria on stage too.

And yeah, it was a good opening set of songs. The band came out after the acoustic intro of On Nights Like Tonight.

Edited by Pew89